• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Games + CPU | Memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Midnight Dream

OSPF Loving Member
Ok, I asked Super Nade about this, and I figure I can get more insight if I ask everybody

I went to play some FEAR last night, and right at about the same point as last time, I started lagging out. Really bad. To the point that it freezes every few seconds for about 15 seconds or so. So I got 3dMark05 and ran a test. It went through the first 2 tests, slowing down minimally but when it got to the third (some sort of flying ship over water and an aquatic creature) it started lagging out as well, to about 2 FPS. When it went to the next test, the max frames it could do was about 7 or 8 FPS. This is somewhat very similar to what I was getting with FEAR. Any thoughts?

-Midnight Dream

I doubt its overheating, I have never seen the temperatures get too incredibly high. Any way I can run something to stress it while monitoring the temperature as well?

You will probably need a temp monitoring program for your video card that is capable of loggin results. Otherwise, you could run Riva Tuner or ATI Tool in the background with temp monitoring, then run 3DMark and when it starts getting slower, Alt-Tab to the monitoring program and see what temp it is running.

How much RAM do you have in your system? That may also be a factor, but I doubt it will be affected by 3DMark. Now a game like FEAR, will probably use all of 1GB of ram on its own. If the ram gets used up, it will start using PF, which will slow things down due to it being on your HD. HD access is extrememly slow compared to RAM.

How much ram? Does the game play fine (normal FPS) then suddenly pause then play fine again? Could be if you have a lot of apps running in the background (Azureus is pretty bad for that) then you're just having a lot of HD reads going on. In the task manager what does it say you have available ram wise. It's possible you might have picked up some sort of malware that is eating up ram.

As far as 3dmark goes there are a couple of tests that do that on my rig so I don't think that's exclusively your problem.

I have 1GB of BH-5 RAM, never get this issue with anything else, the game will play fine, pause, play fine, pause. I dont have any resource intensive apps in the background, just aim and a few other small things. I dont have any malware, that I know, I keep my system very secure.

Have you tried completely uninstalling your gfx drivers and putting on the latest version? Could always be something like a corrupt driver.

I also had a problem with games stuttering some years ago. It was down to my Promise ATA controller drivers. Although if you're not using that card, I doubt it's that :).

Binny.

I will try that. I guess I should also mention that my 3DMark05 score was ~5035 after almost 4 tests. I just couldnt stand the 7 FPS anymore and stopped it

You do realize that the last 2 tests on 3DMark05 Demo are CPU tests, in which case your FPS will be very low. That doesnt explain your FEAR issues, but it is something to be aware of.

KillrBuckeye said:
Apparently, this stuttering can be caused by EAX HD setting, so it is recommended to use EAX2.

FEAR actually wont start on my PC with hardware (EAX) sound enabled - it crashes on startup. I also have to decrease the audio hardware acceleration in the DirectX9 settings app... and even then I can't get speech to work in-game.
If Midnight Dream's problem is related to this, i think there is obviously something pretty screwed with FEAR's audio implementation.

Binny.

i have this issue in Joint Ops, or had - the game would play fine, something would happen and frame rates would drop to sub 10FPS and never go up, no matter what until i exited the game and came back in - never did figure it out.

Go to futuremark's web site and use there very useful search feature to see what you should be getting.

Back