• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Games crashing windows...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gustav

ok, i have a friend who is in a the same clan as myself for Medal of Honor Allied Assault, we also play Call Of Duty. heres what he posted on our forums:

ok when i play cod (or medal of honor but mostly cod) ill be playing fine for a few min. then my computer will either freeze or the screen will go blank but still have the game running in the background. Then when i restart it when it is starting up i get a blue screen that says something has caused an error in unkown u may be able to continue so i press enter to continue and i get everything back up except my internet stops!!! so i have to keep restarting till i can get in without ne blue screen.AGHHHHH!!!!! if ne1 has ne idea what the prob is can u please give me sum info.

so thats sums it up pretty much there. i know he recently fried his motherboard so he got a new one and its now installed. i dont know what brand/model it is but i will let u know. i do know he has a amd 2000+ and that recently it was overheating because the heatsink wasnt sitting on right, so i told him to get a new heatsink, that solved that problem, but then like i said his mobo blew out. i dont know what ram he has but i will find out. i know he has windows ME. im not totally sure what to do here. i told him to try updating the bios since he got a new motherboard recently. i told him if that doesnt work, to try and reformat his hard drives since there may be some stuff left on the hard drive from the last motherboard and it may help to reinstall windows anyway. i told him ME is a crappy OS and he should try to get XP but he doesnt have the money for it. he really cant affoard to replace anything else since he just got a new heatsink and a new motherboard. i posted this here cuz i think it may be a problem with the OS, but im not sure. can anyone help him?

Aseaver

Registered
Windows ME is a "crash" lover. It will crash for no real reason. The problem is more than likely his vid card or too little memory. Also, sounds like he playing multiple people online...if that is the case, then check to see if he has a firewall activated. Blue screen in ME usually comes up when there is a fatal hardware error or Windows protection fault (something trying to access a non-accessable file). Usually a couple of reboots fixes it but I had the problem because of my anti-virus program. Have him uninstall then reinstall his anti-virus program.

Hope you find the prob.

OP
gustav

gustav

i forgot to mention he recently installed a new video card too, a radeon 9600 pro. he said he had these problems before, but it wasnt as frequent. he has 512 mb of ram. i told him to uninsall all the stuff the 9600 pro put on, and use the disk it came with to put the drivers and programs on. he is over a roughter which has a firewall built into it. i'll have in uninsall and reinstall his anti virus as well.

jrbob

To get Windows to run when I changed from Nivida to ATI, I had to do a format and reinstall of windows.
Find out what drivers he is running if he is using anything older than the 3.7s he needs to upgrade to the 3.8s or the 3.1s. COD had a problems whit the older drivers.

Hope this helps.

Axis

Try running dxdiag.exe and make sure apg is enabled blah blah and all tests run with no errors.

But anyways.......

With all that hardware changing... you should reformat and reinstall everything, windows, mobo drivers, spacks vid drivers etc...

If he hasn't done that do it ASAP.

Other things that cause stuff like that are overheating and psu probs.

I ran ME for a long time and if you know what you are doing it is not that bad really. Tweak out the drive cache and swap file useage.

OP
gustav

gustav

alright, the guy got it fixed. he said i'm the best cuz i got his computer fixed. i told him all i did was ask some people over at OC forums. its working fine accpet that he cant install a program that we use for voice communication. its called Ventrilo. it can be found at www.ventrilo.com. we use this to communicate while playing games. the problem is, when he goes to install it, this is what it says: "the installation package cannot be installed by the windows installer service you must install a windows service pack that contains a newer version of the windows installer service" the problem is, its windows ME and there is no updates, i told him to go to microsoft and find out if theres any updates or anything, he said theres nothing. after he gets that message, the only option is "OK" and then nothing happens. does anyone have an idea how he could get it to install?