• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Games with cores and priority

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NV

Hey guys, I recently had an idea when I noticed that my i7 system showed some slight choppiness at times when I used it (relatively lightly, I'm talking things ranging from solitaire to youtube) while running -bigadv -smp 8. I know youtube is a frametime killer, at least on my system (adds anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes per frame!).

So what I thought of first was running -smp 7. I currently get around 32 minutes per frame, and I found someone with similar clocks reporting in the vicinity of 2-3 minutes slower running only 7 cores. (I suppose I should note: i7 920 @ 3.8) I thought freeing up a core might actually improve frame times during periods of usage because the system wouldn't have to sort of, 'tell' fah to 'get out of the way'. I admit, I don't really understand how all of that works, but it seemed like an O.K. Idea to me.

Then I thought, what if I could limit everything on my computer that isn't fah to just one core? Well I don't know how to do that, but I DO know how to change the priority of fah. So if I upped the priority, it would tend to limit the rest of my computing to just that one core.

In the end, I realize that I probably won't do any this after all. Most days I am NOT using my computer FAR more than I actually am using it, so limiting fah to 7 cores would probably do me more harm than good even if it did slightly increase performance while I was actually using the computer. I'm basically just throwing this out there, wanting to see what you guys think. If you're intrigued, then discuss. If not, let the thread sink :shrug:

dylskee

Hmmm, I was wondering the same thing lately. I haven't played BF2142 (or any games for that matter) in months but I wanted to jump on for a while tonight. I am going to pause my GPU clients but will I take a performance hit while folding -bigadv WUs while gaming? And, is it possible to fold one GPU and game on the other?

dylskee

If you notice, he is running Nvidia cards.

Though that does raise a good point, if he is in SLI, he'll need to switch out of it first.

Yes I am in SLI, so if i disable SLI and kill one GPU client I should be able to game without a problem?

torin3

Yes I am in SLI, so if i disable SLI and kill one GPU client I should be able to game without a problem?

Yep, as long as it the GPU your monitor is plugged into, you should be good to go. I have no problem doing it when I want to game.