• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming Build for a long time

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sacdecorsair

Hello guys,

So I' m getting old and no longer the 25 years old kid playing 20+ hours a week. I still like gaming once in a while, i'm not really on a budget and my actual setup is getting old. I wanted to try Battlefield 1 but it looks like my actual setup will be underperforming.

Back in 2009, i pleased myself with a sweet PC. I went the *what the hell way..* I have some money and let's go at it. Here's the thing, i'm still happy with that build 7 years later. This is what I have right now :

Antec 1200 case
Corsair 550w PSU
Asus P6X58D
3 x 2GB RAM
Intel Core i7 920 running stock
Samsung 250GB SSD (for replacing 2 HDD Raid 0)
2 HDD Raid 1 for storage / backup
Nvidia 660 TI (for replacing Radeon HD 5850)

Just did a couple hours of reading and this is the build I come at :

Antec 1200 case (i will clean the dust and keep it :) )

GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0)
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128835

Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117559&_ga=1.189788131.954890012.1478298599

G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 3200
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231929&_ga=1.219107025.954890012.1478298599

EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487247&_ga=1.219107025.954890012.1478298599

Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147373&_ga=1.77704540.954890012.1478298599

2 X WD Blue 1TB (RAID 1 for backup)
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9H53UY0319&_ga=1.219252561.954890012.1478298599

EVGA SuperNOVA 650W
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438054&_ga=1.220242640.954890012.1478298599

Total comes up to $1885 Canadian which is around $1450 US.

I will likely be keeping this setup for many many years, again. I know the i7 is probably overkill but I like it that way. I was wondering what is this Founder Edition for video card. Read that it's mostly around build quality. Looks like a 100$ waste but i don't know. Any comments? I think I forgot a decent cooler for CPU. I don't know if I will overclock, i'm not used to push things to their limit and I'm not sure I will see any benefits myself.

Screenshot from newegg.ca. CANADIAN PRICES. Links open a window that closes afterward. Don't know if its only me.

Capture.PNG

Thanks!

Last edited:
Only reason to get a founders style card is if you have an itx case and need to exhaust heat out of the case. In this regard, most definitely consider a modded pcb model, and I would even entertain stepping up to a 1080 for "longevity".

If I were planning for a long time build, I'd ditch that huge case and go Mini ITX. The Gigabyte GA-Z170N-WIFI (rev. 1.0) Mini ITX is $169 at Newegg.ca which saves you $70 over the ATX motherboard. Take that and apply it to a nice Mini ITX case such as the $68 Thermaltake Core V1 Extreme Mini ITX Cube which will go along fine with that founder's edition GTX 1070. Obviously there are other choices but this is an example that adds no cost to the total build price.

Will you be overclocking the CPU? You make no mention of aftermarket cooling in your list of parts. And if you will not be overclocking then why go with the more expensive "k" processor?

I have a similar build (GTX 1070, i7-6700k, Gaming 7, 16gb DDR4-3000), runs everything great. My last build, like yours, lasted me about 7 years. I only upgraded because I do a lot more photo/video editing now and wanted to try a new i7-6700k (and it's way better for video editing). The GTX 1070 runs everything on Ultra that I've thrown at it for 1440p, although I haven't played any of the ultra-demanding AAA titles yet (works well on BF1, Doom, No Mans Sky, WoW, and Fallout 4 but those are all I've played so far on this build).

Will you be overclocking the CPU? You make no mention of aftermarket cooling in your list of parts. And if you will not be overclocking then why go with the more expensive "k" processor?

The 6700K does have a 600MHz higher stock clock than the 6700, which I feel warrants the $25 (US) difference. Normally, I'd be right there with you though.

I'm with DaveB, this build is screaming ITX.

Wow i'm starting to learn some things here. I'm glad I took the time posting my build.

Here's my reasonning : i7 or i5 ? I've been running an i7 for 7 years and really satisfied. I do render videos from time to time. I do have some spare money and I will keep that next processor many years so for me it's a no brainer. I chose the 6700K because it seemed like one of the most popular CPU on newegg and price tag wasn't excessive compared to some very high end options.

This is what I just learnt : the K version is for overclocking. Ok yeah why not. I have been running my i7 920 with a small overclock for many years. I did bought back then a huge cooler master fan for that overclock and was more than happy, not pushing limits at all and just going for a small increase.

Where I'm lost in your answers :

What is ITX? Ok just did some google search and it looks like small cases etc. But what's the point???? How come my build is *screaming* ITX ? What benefits do I get except a fancier looking case taking less spaces near my desk? Runs quieter? Limited space makes it more enjoyable?

I'm lost. Going back to read some more but I will appreciate any answers meanwhile! :)

Thanks for your time guys.

Yes, the "K" SKU means that the chip has an upwardly unlocked multiplier. I'd recommend it to anyone looking into getting the high end desktop i7s simply because it's not much more expensive than the non-K 6700 and it has a 4GHz base clock.

The biggest benefit of a SFF (small form factor) build is it's footprint. High-performance single GPU systems simply don't need to be huge anymore. And since they don't need to be, why not take advantage of it? A small build will be easier to move for travel and/or maintenance, and leaves more room on/under your desk for other things.

The only real drawback to a SFF build is the actual build process, since there isn't as much room to install everything, and small cases get crowded quick. In most SFF cases, you'll also need to take into consideration the height of the cooler you choose.

Airflow in most SFF cases is adequate, with some cases having excellent airflow. If you do go this route, and you don't like the Core V1 that DaveB suggested, there are lots of cases that have plenty of ventilation.

Thanks for explaining SFF to me and it's benefits. Since I was about to give my old setup to wife currently running on Core2 Duo (ouch), i need a new case anyway so I will consider.

As mentionnend in my setup, I'm going with SSD and 2 X HDD for storage Raid 1 backup. Will this even fit in a SFF ?

It sure will, so long as you choose a case that will hold them. Other options are double sided tape or velcro tape.

Here is a link for you to evaluate the Thermaltake V1. It holds two 3-1/2 inch drives and two 2-1/2 inch drives. Plus you might consider using an M.2 drive installed in the motherboard as your boot drive. The Gigabyte mini ITX I suggested has an M.2 slot on the back of the board in addition to the M.2 WiFi on the front side. Add the M.2 boot drive and you can have 5 total drives without using Duct tape or velcro.

Thermaltake Mini Chassis - Core V1

I'm not necessarily with those who are advocating a mini ITX case build. First, you are asking for poorer ventilation and heat dissipation then with a larger case. And if OP wants to overclock, this will be an issue most likely and especially since he will be needing room for a larger air or water cooler. They also limit expansion if, for instance you want to add a second video card.

But the second reason is an ergonomic one. Unless there is room to put the mITX case on the desk/table top work surface, (i.e., if it's on the floor) it can be an uncomfortably long reach push the power button to turn it on.

I'm a heavy advocate of ITX cases (clearly, I own an Ncase M1), however, it should be something you aim to go for because you want to, and it was an idea in your head in the first place. A standard ATX build (or even some M-ATX builds) will be easier to build in, easier to upgrade, less limitation on parts. I believe they recommended the ITX system based on the fact you seem to want to stick with the founders edition card (hint, don't do it unless you do go ITX :p), pickup an Asus Strix instead IMO.

That said, the Antec 1200 is a slightly outdated design and it's, well, chunky. But that's my opinion.

There are 2 options I'd also consider - Define C Mini and Define C. These assume you don't require a DVD/optical drive. One is M-ATX, other is ATX. I believe M-ATX sits in a solid middle ground of ease of use/portability. Whilst the fractal is not the smallest m-atx case around it'll be easy to build in and manage. Example of a board - Gigabyte Gaming Z170MX.

Just for another suggestion.

Question, what cooler are you running? The 6700k doesn't come with a stock cooler (and I wouldn't recommend using it if you did), sorry if this was covered already. Consider perhaps the Noctua U12S for an easy install and reasonable temps if you prefer air-cooling.

Unless there is room to put the mITX case on the desk/table top work surface, (i.e., if it's on the floor) it can be an uncomfortably long reach push the power button to turn it on.
Uh, they're small so they can fit on a desk/table work surface. And really, i.e. if it's on the floor? You can't think someone would build a mini ITX with the intent to put it on the floor. The floor is a bad place for any case since it has the best access to dust bunnies, insects and small critters.

Anyway, its up to the OP anyway so que sera and I'm bailing on this thread. :escape:

Back