• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming Montior Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pusHEsbaCkwigs

To all:

I am what you would call a “hard core gamer”

I have a X Box Elite, I have the X4 Turtle Beach headphones, however, I use a tube TV to game on because of its “seemingly” instant refresh rate even though the picture and color are terrible. I have been saving up some money to purchase a monitor and am currently doing research in order to make a solid purchase.

Budget: 500.00 USD
Size: 24-32 I am willing to sacrifice size for refresh rate/response time only if necessary.
Primary Use: GAMING
Secondary Use: Desktop expansion for my MacBook
Other: TV/Movie viewing

Questions:

What is the difference between response time and refresh rate?
• Response time is grey to grey?
• Refresh rate is black to white to black?
What does this ^ actually correlate to visually?

What is the refresh rate/response time on a tube TV? Does this spec even apply to tube TV’s?

Would it be correct to say that the two most important specs to pay attention to when looking for a monitor specifically for gaming are: response time/refresh rate and contrast ratio?

What is a good contrast ratio? 1000:1?

What is a good refresh rate/response time? 2ms?

As screen size goes up does refresh rate/response time go up as well? How come?

1080 or 720? How big of a difference is there? Recommendations specific to gaming?

Are there any TVs that are really good for gaming? Specifically for gaming?

Possible Purchase:

From the research I have done and the knowledge I am aware of I am considering purchasing the ViewSonic VX2433wm

The only reason I am hesitant to buy this one is because it is not exactly the size I would like. I would preferably like a 27 or 30 inch however I’m starting to think they are not out there with 2ms refresh rates/response times.

Does anyone have suggestions on specific monitors from first hand experience?

Has anyone out there had experience with the ViewSonic VX2433wm? Or other ViewSonics?

Thanks, I’m new to this forum so any information would really help.

:comp: I MUST TO GAME IN HD :comp:

sobe

Unscathed Member
Personally I would look at the Dell 2408WFP. It is a PVA panel.

As for your questions regarding ms refresh rates, 2ms tends to be a marketing gimmick as 2ms GTG = 5ms BTB, or 6ms BTB I don't remember the exact number.

Contrast ratio-wise, 1000:1 will be found on nearly all modern panels. That is the static contrast whereas 10,000:1, 25,000:1, 50,000:1, 1,000,000:1, are all dynamic. Just need to pay attention to the static.

I've had a previous Viewsonic 19" standard 4:3 format, and the colors on it were rather accurate for my tastes. As for the one you mention, I have no personal experience. But considering you're budget I'd definitely go for the Dell. Better color reproduction, better viewing angles, etc. However with how wide the color gamut is at 110%, saturation may be "deeper" than some may like.

I just did a quick search and found it used for $300~. Bids on ebay for ~$300.

Last edited:

Theocnoob

Panasonic TCL 32 S1. Go look into it. 8ms (full refresh) and a bit of backlight smudge from side to side but it's $500 shipped from Amazon, it's an IPS ALPHA panel, and it does not get any sharper. Absolute joy for gaming.

grimloki

Panasonic TCL 32 S1. Go look into it. 8ms (full refresh) and a bit of backlight smudge from side to side but it's $500 shipped from Amazon, it's an IPS ALPHA panel, and it does not get any sharper. Absolute joy for gaming.

Its now $414 shipped from 6ave with the bonusbuy code... as long as that lasts., and $445 shipped from amazon (by the same company)

+1 on that recommendation, if you dont mind being 4 ft from the tv, and you have HDMI or DVI ports out of your sources.

mattspalace

I been Dolk'ed Senior
Panasonic TCL 32 S1.

+1

I have no idea why others are suggesting PC monitors for you. You don't need a PC monitor at all, and your macbook will look fine on this screen. If you were gaming with a PC, it would be a different story. What you want is the largest and best looking screen for the $$$ - I think this one is an excellent recommendation.