• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming rig build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cidelth

I am interested in any feedback/suggestions on this gaming rig I am considering. Here are the specs:

1) Sapphire 5850 x2
2) Intel Core i-7 920
3) Noctua NH-U12DX heat sink/fan
4) OCZ Vertex Turbo 60GB x2 in raid
5) Asus P6T6 WS Revolution
6) G.Skill Ripjaws Series 6Gb (3x2GB) PC3 16000, DDR3 2000
7) Cosair TX Series CMPSU-950W Power Supply

I'm also hoping to overclock the CPU, and I've read that it can be done up to 3.8Ghz - 4.0Ghz with good air cooling. Being new to overclocking I'd especially like to hear thoughts on this with this build. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments.

jgv115

4ghz is too easy. You could probably get to 4.5ghz

I would go with one HD5870 (if you can find them) instead of two HD5850s.

psionic98

+1 on DO stepping.. if you have a microcenter in your area you can get the i7 for 200 and check for the DO stepping,which you cant guarantee when buying online

OP
C

cidelth

+1 i7 920 and easily get 4hz (200*20) btw 4.5 may need watercooling or tat chip is mint ALSO makes sure its a DO vs CO cause C0 requires much more power

Very good to know about the CO stepping.

I'm thinking the 5870 might be the way to go instead of two 5850's in Xfire now. Mostly because it leaves the option to add the second card later. What's everyone's opinion on the heatsink I selected?

psionic98

dont think i've ever heard a bad thing on noctuas on these forums for more recent chipsets, other options would be megahalem with some panflow fans

Daleon

Looks good. I'm not sure what you are really gaining by going with the P6T6 though besides a lighter wallet. The P6T del V2 seems to OC just as well especially if 4ghz is all you are going for a P6T se could even do that. It doesn't have any of the newer features that the Gigabyte UD7 has does it? But I guess with dual 60GB Vertex's money is not a huge factor. I'd also add a 1TB WD Black for storage if you don't have a normal sata HD already.

I was going to go with a Mega for my new 920 build but decided to try the Corsair H50. Its a cop out water solution (all in one cpu only cheap POS) but as long as it holds my temps down in the mid 60's under load I'll be happy. Should be a little quieter and less of a big block pita to deal with inside the case.

That 950 is a great PSU, but I'd still maybe try and find a good modular just to make life easier. An HX 850 would still be plenty of juice for crossfire later on.

What kind of monitor going to use?

OP
C

cidelth

Looks good. I'm not sure what you are really gaining by going with the P6T6 though besides a lighter wallet. The P6T del V2 seems to OC just as well especially if 4ghz is all you are going for a P6T se could even do that. It doesn't have any of the newer features that the Gigabyte UD7 has does it? But I guess with dual 60GB Vertex's money is not a huge factor. I'd also add a 1TB WD Black for storage if you don't have a normal sata HD already.

I was going to go with a Mega for my new 920 build but decided to try the Corsair H50. Its a cop out water solution (all in one cpu only cheap POS) but as long as it holds my temps down in the mid 60's under load I'll be happy. Should be a little quieter and less of a big block pita to deal with inside the case.

That 950 is a great PSU, but I'd still maybe try and find a good modular just to make life easier. An HX 850 would still be plenty of juice for crossfire later on.

What kind of monitor going to use?

I've got an asus 25.5" monitor that I bought last year, may add another with this build though.