• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gathering thoughts for my actual build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0ldb3rg

Registered
Hello everyone! I'm looking for suggestions for my actual build. After a long time, I finally gathered all I needed to improve my rig. here's what it looks like:

2ex0ntj.jpg

Now I'm focusing on the peripherals, got to buy a decent keyboard and mouse, and I'm planning to remove the Seidon 120v cooling my i7 and replacing it with a noctua nh d15. Is there anything else? Should I evaluate changing something else?

A few more notes (sorry, i was in a rush): CPU, Motherboard and RAMs were bought earlier (almost 2 years ago). If I built it in recent times, I'd evaluate a Ryzen or an i7 6xxx or even 7xxx series. GPU was bought in recent times. RAM has been tweaked to 1866mhz and cl8 without increasing voltage (1.35v), ran memtest for a couple of days and it found no error whatsoever, so I guess they're stable? this is also something i need advice on. PSU has a strange label (it's a Sharkoon, something i've never heard of) but I tested every single rail before mounting it on my computer and also tested it under load with the main voltages (3.3, 5 and 12) and they were in perfect range (I saw a couple of guides on the net about variation, can't recall correctly, I hope you understand what I mean). About the audio card... it's something i bought 6 years ago because my former motherboard had its onboard audio device burnt. Beats me how it happened. Bought this audio card for a real cheap price through Amazon and I think it doesn't make much of a difference, but as long as it makes my sound working, that's good for me. Hope this explanation helps!

Last edited:
Ditch the audio card... it probably sounds worse than what is on your board. Unless you need something from it, run onboard.

Replace your cpu cooler with something worthwhile. You will see slight improvements over what you have now, but why go back to air?? Grab Seidon 2x120 or something similar. Or don't bother at all, honestly...

Take that money you save not spending on a cooler and get a quality power supply.

Ditch the audio card... it probably sounds worse than what is on your board. Unless you need something from it, run onboard.

Replace your cpu cooler with something worthwhile. You will see slight improvements over what you have now, but why go back to air?? Grab Seidon 2x120 or something similar. Or don't bother at all, honestly...

Take that money you save not spending on a cooler and get a quality power supply.

Kind of afraid of running liquid in my case, to be honest. I dread the thought of having liquid near electronic components, fearing that it might one day leak and ruin the inside components.

I've read enthusiastic reviews for the noctua I'm willing to buy. They also compared it to mid/high end water cooler and it placed quite on top, actually. Why going liquid if I can get one of the best air coolers and have the same temperatures?

About power supply... mine is an 80+ certified. Care to elaborate a bit about that? Since it never gave me any problems and I got it thoroughly checked and tested, I see no point in changing it. What should i look for in a PSU?

I wouldnt worry about water leaking out of an AIO... ;)

Most 2x120mm beat it by a bit... but I doubt you are chasing after every degree C. I just dont see the point of spending that much money for air over a worry of an AIO leak.

80+ is a measure of efficiency, not quality. They use terrible samxon caps. Otherwose, i havent seen a proper review...it may be ok...just not great.

I wouldnt worry about water leaking out of an AIO... ;)

Most 2x120mm beat it by a bit... but I doubt you are chasing after every degree C. I just dont see the point of spending that much money for air over a worry of an AIO leak.

80+ is a measure of efficiency, not quality. They use terrible samxon caps. Otherwose, i havent seen a proper review...it may be ok...just not great.

Any AIO you would recommend? I've seen the corsair hydro 115i and was quite interested in it. Are you 100% positive that liquid cannot leak from an AIO?

About the PSU... yeah I had your same doubt. But since I tested the rails under load and they came out fine, I thought it was safe to assume that it performed pretty well (since I was given this one by a friend, he wasn't using it anymore because he needed more sata power cables)

P.S.: Thank you for your time answering my questions! :)

Oh sorry i messed up! My psu is a X-Spice Croon BF 650w. Gave it up a look online, and looks like it's an european product, so there are no reviews in english. But a couple of reviews in german and italian are pretty enthusiast of it.

x1haig.jpg

Here it is, hope it helps!

Last edited:
These reviews are from 2008.. it's an old psu...concerning. I don't see any reviews which tests the unit properly... I'd look into to something new, honestly. Evga 500b comes to mind for a budget unit.

I'm glad you tested it, but stable voltages aren't everything. Ripple, transient respomse, the quality of the internals, etc...

These reviews are from 2008.. it's an old psu...concerning. I don't see any reviews which tests the unit properly... I'd look into to something new, honestly. Evga 500b comes to mind for a budget unit.

I'm glad you tested it, but stable voltages aren't everything. Ripple, transient respomse, the quality of the internals, etc...

You might have a point there... It's kinda old. Even tho I've cleaned it up before mounting it. I'll think about another PSU then. How does everything else looks though?

The best reason I can give to go with an AIO water cooler is that it really opens up the interior of the case and makes things easier to see and work on. If you stick one of those big Noctua coolers in there it will take over the whole area. Don't obsess over the possibility of leaks. Very seldom happens.

But if you go with a a two or three fan AIO make sure you choose a case that has enough room at the top edge of the motherboard to provide clearance for the radiator.

The best reason I can give to go with an AIO water cooler is that it really opens up the interior of the case and makes things easier to see and work on. If you stick one of those big Noctua coolers in there it will take over the whole area. Don't obsess over the possibility of leaks. Very seldom happens.

But if you go with a a two or three fan AIO make sure you choose a case that has enough room at the top edge of the motherboard to provide clearance for the radiator.

No problem there. I've got a Thermaltake V51, the upper part is quite large :D

Back