• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ge Force 2 Mx Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MasterDJ

Registered
First I'll give you my setup: AMD T-Bird 1.2 ghz, 512 DDR pc2100 ram, ECS KS75A mobo, 2X WD 120 gig 7200 rpm, liteon 24x burner, 52x cd rom, Hercules Gamesurround Fortissimo 2, No Name 32 meg Geforce 2 MX 100/200, running Windows XP Professional with SP1.

No heres the problem, I've been running windows XP professional for a while without any problems, even after I upgraded to Sp1, everything worked fine. I re-formatted and when I installed the new drivers for the geforce, off www.geforce.com (by the way the driver I got was 40.72 winxp WHQL) and re-started my computer, in the spash screen before the mem count where it says geforce and your driver version and stuff, it said 8mg, instead of the usual 32 mg, nothing on my system is overclocked, no video card tweaking or anything. I unistalled the card from windows, unistalled the drivers, pulled the card, and re-installed the drivers. Same problem, I was jsut wondering what has happened to cause this..or is the memory gone. And something to take notice is that on my card there are only 2 memory chunks on the card..I thought that there would be four 8 meg chips, but thats beside the fact. The card is stamped and saying GEforce 32 mx 100/200.

Welcome to the forums, MasterDJ!

First off I'll ask the stupid question :D I know there are about one zillion different flavors of GF2 MX- so, are you sure you didn't get stuck with an 8MB version? 32MB was the most common, but I saw plenty of 16MB ones too.

If you're sure the 8MB is wrong, then I would look towards getting a new card. Sounds a lot like a memory chip just died on you! That splash screen come purely from the vid card- no drivers or software of any kind is involved that early in the boot phase, it's just the BIOS reading info off the card.

So, my best guess is a broken card. Sometimes these things just up and die :(

it might not be bad ram, but possibly a sign that it is dieing. Also, that card idoesnt fit ur system to well, IMO

Was working

thanx.,,ya its the 32 mg model, it used to say 32mg, but even since the re-format now it says 8, I was thinking that maybe the ram is dying or dead, but the funny thing is that it only has 2 memory modules, so I'm guessing 2X 16mgs, so if 1 was dead wouldn't it say 16 mg?? and would the card even function if 1 of the ram chips were bad..any ideas?

yep, it would most likely keep running just fine if a memory module was dead or dying- just with less memory. As soon as a program tries to write into the memory address that is in the broken chip, however, instant crash.

Good point about the memory chips on the card, tho. Uhhh, maybe half a chip is broken? :) I really can't think of how reformatiing would affect the card in any way, I really think it would have to be strictly a hardware problem. After all, before POST the card couldn't care less if you even have a hard drive installed. That's all I can think of.

ya i did re-formatt again...o well at least now I have a reason to get my geforce 4 ti4200 128mg card :) ....i've been looking to get a new card...thanx for the help guys

dont dis on geforce 2, lol i bought my geforce 2 mx400 a year ago when it was still relativly high on the pecking order. it does me well but... needles to say, outdated. haha

dude, maybe its just a bios issue? I had a 464MHz celeron that the bios said 450MHz even when I used turbo. if you want to be sure, run it in 1024x768x32 bit color. if the game runs at that mode, reguardless of speed, you have at least 16mb working. if it says "buffer error" or wont start than you only got 8mb :( in this case id like to buy that card to use as an experment!

I have a GF2 Pro on my rig and I can tell you for sure that it did not like the new drivers from Nvidia AT ALL...Don't know that it will solve your problems, but try going back to the earlier drivers and see if it helps...Quite a few folks have had problems with the 40.72's and the earlier Geforce cards...

Just a thought... :)

MasterDJ said:
k..where would i download the old drivers??

greg

You can get them here:

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

Once you get to the driver download page for your particular OS, look for the Driver Archive link on the left of the page and you will find just about anything you desire...
(Just saw NEW drivers are available...41.09's...Gotta gettum...)

Happiness is fresh drivers...:D

Last edited:
i know where to get the new drivers :p i'm not that dumb...LOL..i don't mean to sound rude...sorry...i was trying to ask where can i get the Old drivers

MasterDJ said:
i know where to get the new drivers :p i'm not that dumb...LOL..i don't mean to sound rude...sorry...i was trying to ask where can i get the Old drivers

If you take that link to the Software Download page and pick your Driver Type, Card Type and OS it will take you to the Driver Download page where you will see the link for the Driver Archive page...They offer drivers from 28.84 thru the new 41.98's...just gotta follow the links...
OK...Here ya go, for XP its at:

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=winxp-2k_archive

Earlier drivers can be had over here:
http://reactorcritical.com/download.shtml

Shoulda done that in the first place...Better now??

;)

Last edited:
MasterDJ, I dont know if you recieved my pm or not. I dont think anythings wrong with your card, did you even read my advice?

sorry

yes i did recieve your pm jsut today, and no sorry I'm not interested in selling the card, thanx for all the help, I'm gonna download the old drivers later on tonight..I'll let you guys know what happens

I might try to find a way to remove one of the memory chips on one of my old tnt2 vantas, so instead of 8mb itll have 2 or 4mb for an experment

hmm...so in order to see if it will still function with a a burnt out ram chip or 2...yeah i jsut downloaded the old drivers..still no luck :(

Back