• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GeForce 2 MX upgrade, need advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Big Mike

Senior Head of Import Performance
I haven't been really hounding the net about video cards as of late so I'm a bit out of touch. My GF2 MX is a bit slow to play games at full potential <I just upgraded to a NEC Multisync 19" flat monitor>. I was looking at GF2 Pro 32mb cards as they seem to be pretty cheap, but I noticed on price watch some sites mention "second generation" chips, I thought only the MX 200/400 was getting changed? At any rate I want the best bang for the buck, I looked at Pro 32meg and Pro 64meg cards, the Ultra is a bit more than I really want to spend and the GF3 is way out there...any thoughts and any major benefits to the 64meg cards? Also are there any brands that perhaps really suck or are really good, my original goal was 150-175 dollars for a good quality TV out card, I'd really like to stay below 200 bucks...I don't think I'm that hardcore of a gamer that I need an Ultra card so I wasn't planning on holding out for the next major drop in price...My system specs are in my Sig, the computer is lightning fast and I think the video card is REALLY holding it back...
-Mike

The Pro should work fine for your needs. I think DDR memory is really your only requirement, that should carry you for at least 6 months before the Geforce3 is utilized in upcoming games.

You can still overclock these, sometimes by a large margin with DDR ram.

Yes, what Pinky said. Pesonally, I'd get the 64 meg Pro card, that will help speed and benchmarks a little bit. Prices are beginning to look really good for the Pro too. Seems like the Pro cards use the same core as the Ultra. They're a good bargain, in my opinion.

Oh yeah, hack the hell out of the card -- Quadro is supposed to increase overall image quality (don't believe those who haven't seen any results, they probably didn't know what they were doing).

Go with the Pro untill later this year (arround X-mas). That is when a bunch of new cards will come out and drive prices down.

Pinky (May 25, 2001 03:29 p.m.):
Oh yeah, hack the hell out of the card -- Quadro is supposed to increase overall image quality (don't believe those who haven't seen any results, they probably didn't know what they were doing).

I did the GF2MX to Quadro hack, Result...............no difference, At least not in 3D. Photoshop seems to work pretty fast, tho I didn't compare. Anyhow I don't have any problems running UT @ High,High,High x 1024x768x16 (looks nice to me, OK it would be nicer to run @ H,H,H x 1600x1200x32)BUT...... I only have a PIII 600@828.
So in my opinion wait till the GF3 get's affordable.

Back