• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Geforce 256 vs Upgrading to MX or GTS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sith88

I am currently running a PIII500E with 128MB RAM and a Geforce 256 (Asus V6600). Now, I am aware that my video card has fallen in to the "not so slick" catagory. I am wondering, I would like to pack an extra puch for some of my vids. Here are some options I have considered.

1. Take out my G256 and put in a MX or GTS.

2. Keep the G256 and upgrade to a 1Ghz PIII

3. Keep G256, and dump my P3V4X and PIII for an Athon 1G and mobo.

Money is defintly an issue here.

Any suggestions appreciated.... thanks.

3. Keep G256, and dump my P3V4X and PIII for an Athon 1G and mobo.

Get an AXIA, get some decsent cooling, and overclock that sucker to 1.4GHz.

depends on if it's only games you are after. If the 500 is fine for everything else you do and you just want faster games then I would go for a geforce 2 as this will make more of a differance on games that use the gpu, after all the idea behind the gpu was that you would't need as fast a cpu. I have a friend who stuck a geforce 2 mx is his p2 333 machine and instantly got a computer that could play the latest games once again. Go for the GTS or Pro though as the mx won't bemuch of an upgrade.

Phil (Jun 21, 2001 07:54 p.m.):
depends on if it's only games you are after. If the 500 is fine for everything else you do and you just want faster games then I would go for a geforce 2 as this will make more of a differance on games that use the gpu, after all the idea behind the gpu was that you would't need as fast a cpu. I have a friend who stuck a geforce 2 mx is his p2 333 machine and instantly got a computer that could play the latest games once again. Go for the GTS or Pro though as the mx won't bemuch of an upgrade.

I'm afraid that this assessment is absolutely incorrect. A Geforce 256 SDR card is equal in performance to a Geforce 2 MX, a Geforce 256 DDR is faster than a Geforce 2 MX. If you buy an MX you are just throwing money down the drain.

I think upgrading your processor is the better move, but if you do decide to upgrade your card, consider the Radeon LE. It has a Geforce 2 MX pricetag with Geforce 2 GTS performance.

Nagorak (Jun 21, 2001 10:29 p.m.):
I'm afraid that this assessment is absolutely incorrect. A Geforce 256 SDR card is equal in performance to a Geforce 2 MX, a Geforce 256 DDR is faster than a Geforce 2 MX. If you buy an MX you are just throwing money down the drain.

I think upgrading your processor is the better move, but if you do decide to upgrade your card, consider the Radeon LE. It has a Geforce 2 MX pricetag with Geforce 2 GTS performance.

I said the mx wouldn't be much of an upgrade!
It is slightly faster than the sdr g256 and slightly slower than the ddr g256 though it has a higher polygon throughput than both so is arguably more future proof if you settle for 16bit colour and low res.
A new card will make more differance than a new cpu as it will be the card holding him back in games seeing as it does the geometry. In quake 3 though the gpu doesn't help quite as much but in more modern games and future games a new gpu would be better than a new cpu.

Thanks alot for your advice. I was curious whether my 256 could sack a MX. GTS seems to be the solution (or the TBIRD/MOBO idea $$$$ :-( )

Ati is a repectable (canadian) company, which I would like to remain loyal to, I haven't read much about the Radeon technology since it first came out.

Sith88 (Jun 22, 2001 01:31 p.m.):
Thanks alot for your advice. I was curious whether my 256 could sack a MX. GTS seems to be the solution (or the TBIRD/MOBO idea $$$$ :-( )

Ati is a repectable (canadian) company, which I would like to remain loyal to, I haven't read much about the Radeon technology since it first came out.

Radeons are OK, but I have no real experience with them, outside of seeing one work.

I have to agree that I had a Geforce 256 SDR and upgraded to my current card. The SDR wasn't as powerful (stock 120mhz GPU), but for the extra bucks, I didn't see the extra bang... however, as newer games come out, I will be able to 'keep up' much better with this card...

I wouldn't upgrade the video unless you're really going to shoot for the stars... I priced a new Leadtek geforce 2 ULTRA here, and I almost bought one... but then I remembered my specs below... I wouldn't really see the full gain -- the video card would easily outperform my PC; hence a wasted upgrade. You, on the other hand, may see the benefit of an Ultra with the P3.

Back