• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GeForce 4 Safety

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GM1010

I have a question for you guys. I'm a bit of a newbie so bear with me....I have my MSI GF4 Ti4200 oc'ed to 295/605. Anything higher and it locks up. My question is, is it safe to run the card on the verge like this all the time. Do alot of you leave it set as high as possible? I remember reading about someone who burned out a card somehow. Since I just got it I don't feel like killing it for a few extra fps...It seems like it's getting pretty hot, I can't leave my finger on the back of the gpu for more than 1 or 2 sec...is that normal? One last thing...I have the standard heatsink on it, is it worth upgrading to the Thermaltake? Ok I think that's all, thanks for the help.

Fuzzy

i think 605 might be too high specially if it burns your finger like that. I can only safely get my gforce ti 4200 to the speeds listed in my profile. I use the thermaltake fan and love it but it only helps cooling not so much with overclocking. so i would suggest lowering the core - hope this helps!

OP
GM1010

GM1010

Thanks for the input...but if the ram is cool (I have ramsinks on them) then it shouldn't be in any danger right, just the core?? Overclocking the ram wouldn't effect the core temp right. And what would make it so hot if that's not normal? Even at default settings the back gets almost as hot as oc'ed. Thanks again.

Samoyed

OC the core should not affect the ram temp but I think increasing the voltage to the AGP slot will so be careful. OCing the core doesnt help that much with performance. Test it with 3D Mark and u will see. OCing the ram helps A LOT.

Might want to back down a bit on the core since it doesnt do much anyway and it might have a small chance of failing due to heat.