• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Geforce 6600 GT v Quadro FX 540

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Helshad

Registered
Hi folks... (yea.. new to the forum... alas not to the hardware world)... :beer:

Anyway... Ive beein doing a little testing on my Geforce 6600 GT card... and found that I could unlock it to a Quadro FX 540 card with the RivaTuner software...

So I did... in 3D benchmark 2001 I had (before unlocking) about 12000 points in the tests (not PRO version). After I unlocked it I got 18200 points in avarage...

So far so good... I was thrilled over those results... hehehe But then I continued to read on at different sites... Then I noticed that the Geforce 6600 has higher bandwith (16gb) and the quadro 540 has (8gb)... atleast if Nvidia is telling the truth... how will this affect me??

Or is the 16gb bandwith from the 6600 card still used by the Quadro drivers and thus giving me those high scores??

Tested 3D benchmark 2003 also and got 8500 points... the 2006 version was able to run but at frames around 4-5 hehehe

Anyway... will I be better off using 6600 drivers or should I use the Quadro ?? I tell myself that the image quality and detail levels in games are much better with quadro drivers... but I am known to fool myself... hahaha

I can run Hitman Blood Money at 1024x768 with max settings on everything without lag... Oblivion at 800x600 max settings without lag... if I go higher on those games it starts to lag...

Call of Duty 2 I can play at 1280x1024 maxed out with no lag whatsoever... I just love that... hehehe

All with quadro drivers...

Well... If you guys have any experiance on this let me know...

Also... will I be able to increase performance even more by tweaking and if so how??

After reading your post I was tempted to do the same with my 6600GT AGP. I haven't done any benchmarking yet. Performance in games is supposed to be lower, but IQ and PQ is supposed to be better, which is what I'm hoping for since I watch a lot of movies on the computer.

ATF 2GTalon said:
After reading your post I was tempted to do the same with my 6600GT AGP. I haven't done any benchmarking yet. Performance in games is supposed to be lower, but IQ and PQ is supposed to be better, which is what I'm hoping for since I watch a lot of movies on the computer.

Yea.. its supposed to be lower... alas in my case its a LOT better... By the way I use a 6600 GT on PCI-Express slot.

Gona upgrade later this year with a Geforce 7950GX2 card... :beer:

i looked up the nvidea website and it looked like the quadro FX 540 comes with only DDR ram. ROFL.

Does that mean if you flash it, the GDDR 3 grade ram will run slower?

White_Pawn said:
i looked up the nvidea website and it looked like the quadro FX 540 comes with only DDR ram. ROFL.

Does that mean if you flash it, the GDDR 3 grade ram will run slower?

Naa.. not likely... The testa Ive been doing on my card shows its a lot faster... in 3D benchmark 2001 it goes from 12000 points to 18200 points... and in 2003 it stops at around 8500 points... wich is very good for that card... :)

I think it opens the Quadro hardware on it but still uses the same memmory and speed settings on the 6600 GT card...

Just did a 3dmark03 test and got 8249. Not too bad, seems about average with normal 6600GT's.

ATF 2GTalon said:
Just did a 3dmark03 test and got 8249. Not too bad, seems about average with normal 6600GT's.

Well... I got 8500 in 3D03... but I never tested it without quadro... I did however in 3D01 and there it went from 12000 to 18200...

Perhaps its not that big a difference in 03... due to the test itself... I dont know...

Well... nvm... I will try some new beta drivers that is out now and see if it does anything... hehehe

White_Pawn said:
i researched it up. and quadro 540 sucks compared 6600gt. Like absolutely don't do it.

Well.. I noticed that the new 91.xx series of drivers are better than quadro... thats for sure... So I reverted back... now lets try and crank up those speeds a little... hehehe

Back