• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

geforce cooling modification

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

captain_sHiFTy

sorry if this isnt in the right section, im new to the forums

anyways, i just recieved 180 dollar gift certificate (canadian) to spend on my computer, and im not completely sure what to get

my friend suggested that i get a soltek 75FRN L-NForce 2 mobo, and i agree that thatd prob get me the best bang for my buck

as for the rest of my money, im not completely sure

im thinking of just putting my athlon 1800+ into the new mobo (unlocked of course, might as well do that while its out), then sticking a volcano 12 ontop of it. then i was gunna get a silent case fan or two.

my final mod was gunna be putting a zalman NB47J fanless northbridge cooler onto my geforce ti4200 gpu (http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=10205&vpn=ZM-NB47J), and then putting one of those zalman 92mm fans with a fan bracket mounted over it blowing air across it.

anybody know if this would work? or be worth my money?
if im not going for this, im gunna get some other heatsink mod for it, cuz the stock heatsink is FALLING OFF (one mounting pin is stripped), and its really ****ing me off having to keep checking my case to make sure the damned thing doesnt fall right off.
im pretty sure the warranty doesnt cover this, as i think itd be under "normal wear and tear" (transport to lan parties), but i dunno, i could try rma'ing it....or just glueing it lol

anyways, if anybody has any suggestions on this mod, or any better ways for me to spend my money, id appreciate it.

thats a 185 dollar price limit (plus maybe 20 dollars if its really worth the extra money), for the time being, and maybe more later

oh ya

oh ya, i have a standard no name atx case and power supply. i MIGHT need to replace that, cuz it my computer resets itself sometimes when i have the vcore raised and im running at load.

and im a big noise freak, so i was hoping to make this computer as silent as possible :)

hmm... i would suggest some 80mm Ball Bearing Case fans, if you want silence, but if you dont want to get to much sound keep the dba below 40

oh i was just noticing my vid card had no fan on it, could i just stick a fan over the heat sink?

ah, i just read that thread on ducting mods, and now i wanna make one of those too
lol
...i wonder how well thatd work out? ducting the air from a 92 mm fan onto that heatsink on my gpu....
prob kinda overkill for a gpu tho...
maybe i ll just get two of the zalmans and put one over my gpu and one over my cpu and duct them both in...hehe

Last time I replaced my stock cooler on my Ti4200, I used cable ties. Cable tie goes throught the hole in pcb and around a heatsink designed for cooling processors. I have anti-static foam along the back of the card except over the back of the gpu core to protect the pcb and resisitors fro mthe cable ties. The Arctic SIlver 3 on the Ti4200 core, will post pics later when I am on mjy laptop

A duct for your gpu is NOT overkilll. especially if you plan to overclock it.
if you want a good retail gpu cooler, those vantec icreberg4's are really good. they dont make much noise and cool wickedly well. they are also compatible with most cards. ie, your 4200 will have no issues.
I know that will cool better than the zalman as well. so i would say thats the one you want.
you could always get one of the zalman 80x heatpipes too. they are more expensive, but cool well with fans, and cool acceptably without. so if noise is your enemy, you can still get away with passive cooling, or if you need some performence increase in overclocking, a low noise 80 or 92 mm blowing at it would work well.

heres the cooler i mounte don my gfx except i have another as seen in this pic which is on the NB of my old 8rda+

Attachments

• 8rda+.jpg
    8rda+.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 125
heres how its attached, used same method for my gfx

Attachments

• 8rda+mod.jpg
    8rda+mod.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 131
Back