• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GeForce GTX 260

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beingben

Registered
So I was wondering...how far has anyone pushed a 260? I just bought this one Kind of ****ed since it came stock and I can't get anywheres near 2000 mhz on the memory clock. Anyone could help me with this would be awesome.

Thanks!

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Even with LN2 nobody hit 2k on memory man!!! Your expectations are way out of line on that. 1200 or so is about right really. Anyway, look at the specs in my sig. Thats how high I got the clocks with a bios flash volt mod (gpu only) under water.

OP
B

beingben

Registered
under water? wow....well if you saw the link they are displaying it at around 2300 and im a newbert at this overclocking stuff

OP
B

beingben

Registered
Are all of them DDR or just yours..and second what can I expect to push it under air cooled in a HAF 922 case?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
All of them are DDR, (actually DDR3, but the perceived clockspeed is the same, doubled) yes.

Every chip will vary, but I would expect you to hit low to mid 700's on the core and low to mid 1500's on the shader clocks, and around 1200 on the memory.

Just DL EVGA's Precision overlcocking tool, as well as Furmark. Unlink teh shader from the core and raise one at a time with furmark running its stress test in the backround (like 640x480 res) and when it shows artifacts or freezes, you need to back it off a bit. Then do the same with the shaders and memory.

Neuromancer

Just to let you know.

What you can do in furmark and what you can do real world are 2 totally different OCs ;)

I can run my 4890 at 1100/1100 with furmark churning away

I stop it load up 3dMArk BAM PC restarts 1000MHz is my actual limit (well 1050ish in 01/AM3 IIRC)

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Thats odd... mine are spot on IIRC, depending on the bench of course. But I do run it with full AA... you?

OP
B

beingben

Registered
789/1585/1084

I may be able to get a couple more ghz if i went through it again, not sure.

OP
B

beingben

Registered
Nice job on getting your 280 that high....wish I could even get close to that.

ps2cho

I haven't taken my 260 apart yet...whats the small 2nd core on the pictures??

Shadowmonk

have 3x XFX GTX 260 core 216's running 750/1584/1284 in tri-SLI without a hitch, thets the maximum one of them will hit the other has been benched a bit higher, but OC'ing them separately i didnt see much gain at all and its just easier to link and sync them at that OC. Fan speed runs 80% all the time and its not even audible over my case fans so i just leave it. All 3 of my cards have been voltage modded via BIOS though allowing me to jump them from 1.12v to 1.18v. All 3 also use samsung mem which i saw the largest increase in with more juice. I could only squeek another 20 on core and not much on shaders at all. The chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. My i7 rig has now taken over heating my room, its less expensive than running my baseboard heaters and it keeps the room a nice 70f lol.

OP
B

beingben

Registered
any can tell my why my precision keeps dropping the reading so then it seems as if im not stressing the card but i know I should be in my games....

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
It has 2d and 3d clocks. When you play a game it should jump to 3d clocks. To see this happening, have precision up, then run the stress test protion of furmark and watch the clocks jump up when its on and off when its closed.

Cliff's notes: this is normal. :)

OP
B

beingben

Registered
what is your take on the Thermalright HR-03 GTX , my card doesn't get hot even under load but makes a squeaking noise enough to make me want to through the whole damn thing out the window...I'm not looking for quiet cause I have 7 120mm fans in my case atm...I was just looking for an input on if this is a good one with a 120mm fan on it or should i be looking else where?

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
That seems to be a good cooler...just make sure you get a package of ramsinks to cool the naked ram after you mount that cooler.