• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER and 2070 SUPER review - Guru3D

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Benchmarks and reviews are out. There's about a 7% difference on average from the 2080 super. Doesn't look significant. Overclock your stock 2080/2070/1080ti and you'd see little difference between those 4. I haven't seen an overclocking review on the 2080S yet, but it comes with about 4% higher clocks on stock, so I'm not sure how much more it can be pushed.

I had to get a new gpu yesterday since mine went out. I hope Best buy gets super 2080's before my return time is up lol. Probably won't happen and I won't lose any sleep over it since it's only 128 more cores. Of it was like the 2070 super with the extra 256 then I would be more interested. I'll still take the 128 cores if they get them in time but I needed a replacement card that day to get the system up and running and I'm really liking the gaming x trio.

Benchmarks and reviews are out. There's about a 7% difference on average from the 2080 super. Doesn't look significant. Overclock your stock 2080/2070/1080ti and you'd see little difference between those 4. I haven't seen an overclocking review on the 2080S yet, but it comes with about 4% higher clocks on stock, so I'm not sure how much more it can be pushed.
All other things can be overclocked too, remember. Be fair... like fractions.. do to one side what you do to the other! :p

Yeah I'm expecting it to be faster but at the end of the day overclocking it will be 128 cores faster. Nice but nothing earth shattering. I'm guessing they will get close to the same core clock and the memory clocks will be close to the same when oc'ed. Just how much faster are those 128 cores gonna be in games. I don't think it's going to be a deal breaker.

All other things can be overclocked too, remember. Be fair... like fractions.. do to one side what you do to the other! :p
Yes, you're obviously right, but it should be noted that it already comes with increased clock speeds. So it remains to be seen how much it can be pushed.

So much shade being thrown on the 2080 Super. Some salty folks out there. For those who have $700 to spend, the super is a no brainer. Unless you want throw a few more hunnids and get the TI. I saw TI prices drop to a cool $1k at Newegg and Micro Center during Prime Day sale.

Yes, you're obviously right, but it should be noted that it already comes with increased clock speeds. So it remains to be seen how much it can be pushed.
Reviews show that already... For example, TPU showed an 8.3% increase... which is about what they got on the 2080 FE (9%). ;)

So much shade being thrown on the 2080 Super. Some salty folks out there. For those who have $700 to spend, the super is a no brainer. Unless you want throw a few more hunnids and get the TI. I saw TI prices drop to a cool $1k at Newegg and Micro Center during Prime Day sale.

But the only thing it offers over a non super are 128 cores. Core and mem clocks are all what the 2080 can pull so that's all it offers. Now if you have both in hand and wanna know what one to buy. Same price get the super. But if already got one the extra 128 cores is not something to lose any sleep over. Just checked a review. My gaming x trio I just did time spy last night. Adjusted the fan profile, and power limit and gave the memory a little bump in clock. Im still quite a bit ahead of what the reviews have the super bringing in. But better cooling on the super I know it's going to be a faster card. But it's not going to be that much faster to where I gotta go get a super. Or that I feel like my 2080 is dated. Knowing how gpu boost works and how hot the Fe cards run I'll still go for a 2080 with better cooling then a 2080 super fe. But that being said if they get the gaming x trio 2080 supers in stock before my return policy is up I'll be exchanging it. No sense in not getting the 128 extra cores if I can. But if I can't I won't lose any sleep over it

Its more than just 128 cores though.

For $100 less (2080 Founders Edition vs 2080 Super), out of the box, the specs are across the board better. Higher base/boost clocks, more RT cores, higher memory speed, and higher memory bandwidth on top of the 128 additional cores. Marginal improvements, yes, but still better and cheaper than the previous version. It's not Nvidia's fault that AMD hasn't offered a competing card yet. :D

I remember they were announced that they would be launched with prices equal to the standard 2060/2070/2080 and so far every model I've seen on Amazon is a good £100-£150 more expensive ? Not happy so far [emoji29]

Its more than just 128 cores though.

For $100 less (2080 Founders Edition vs 2080 Super), out of the box, the specs are across the board better. Higher base/boost clocks, more RT cores, higher memory speed, and higher memory bandwidth on top of the 128 additional cores. Marginal improvements, yes, but still better and cheaper than the previous version. It's not Nvidia's fault that AMD hasn't offered a competing card yet. :D

You realize those boost clocks mean nothing right? My gaming x trio bone stock pulls 2040 when it boost. Probably get it higher if I watercool it. My memory right now is +1150 stable.

The only selling point is the 128 cores. That's it. Who leaves there gpu stock? Answer is not a single person in the market for a 2080. Those people buy premade systems so there not buying gpu's. The clocks are better fit for an oem card. The retail selling point is 128 cores.

My 2080 with the increased power limit and a memory oc pulls 12308 in time spy not even maxed out I haven't even had it 24 hours. Super pulls what 11500ish? Yeah really super. Stock out of the box with the memory running at what the super has 11613. Those are graphics score. Cards max boost stock was 2025. Completely stock nothing changed 11532. Yeah it's really super. It's a total game changer.

The 2070 is good. The 2080 super is a disappointment and everyone things so. The extra 128 cores are great. Buts that's all it is. Outside of the cores it's a 2080. Take any run of the mill non Fe card. Put 128 cores on it and it's now a super. Take the ref 2080 super. The heatsink will gimp it enough to where the non Fe cards are still faster because they will boost higher because they run cooler and they will hold that boost longer.

Like I said. It's great to have 128 more cores. Will anyone see the difference in games. Maybe. Deserve the name super? God no. It's meh. Even gamers Nexus is calling it another 1080ti. I wouldn't go that far but it's not amazing...it's not super. They could of just did the whole now with 4.1% more cores and a mediocre memory oc. Nvidia made something noone asked for. Not that it's unwelcome because like I said I'll take 128 cores all day long. People are talking it up to be the second coming of Jesus. It's 128 more cores. Lower boost clocks then most 2080's on the market and a meh memory overclock.

Wanna make a 2080 super? How about more ram? How about dual bios? How about 256 cores? How about having them binned so they all hit 2.1ghz under boost. How about improving the Fe cooler. Nothing makes it super. It's Nvidia trying to push out 2080 die before AMD fires there shot and after seeing Navi AMD might just hit the target this time unlike with the Vega 64. The Vega 64 Part 2 "Now with more hbm2 because no one wanted it". AMD is showing its a force to be reckoned with now and this move to me shows Nvidia is a little worried.

My 2080 with the increased power limit and a memory oc pulls 12308 in time spy not even maxed out I haven't even had it 24 hours. Super pulls what 11500ish? Yeah really super.
....again, why aren't we giving the thing the benefit of the doubt when it has a modded bios with increased power limit etc.

Nobody is saying its a game-changer either... the dude said 'marginal' (for what little its worth, I concur). :)

More RAM is useless, dual bios is on partner cards (and nearly useless for an FE), 256 more cores would start to vulture 2080Ti sales... pre-binning is a joke too as everyone has a different environment. The FE cooler is solid. Its better than any blower by far.

Its just NVIDIA fired a shot back with what they have, indeed. Nobody pulls another card out of their arse that quickly... you know this... I don't know why the rant over it.

NVIDIA isn't scared of AMD/Radeon. Nor should they be. With what Navi ended up being (a power-hungry mid-range card that is topped out, but cheaper) they still have a ways to go to compete at the top end. Their presence in the mid-range is great and only helps us.

In the end, the market has faster cards at a cheaper price. Some can argue that is what the cards should have been... but what can you do. Here we are with improvements for less money and we see posts like this. Not saying we need to hug and love it or anything, lol!

You realize those boost clocks mean nothing right? My gaming x trio bone stock pulls 2040 when it boost. Probably get it higher if I watercool it. My memory right now is +1150 stable.

My 2080 with the increased power limit and a memory oc pulls 12308 in time spy not even maxed out I haven't even had it 24 hours. Super pulls what 11500ish? Yeah really super.

So, what you're saying is, if you had a 2080 Super, you couldn't OC it better than the 2080 you have now?

I remember they were announced that they would be launched with prices equal to the standard 2060/2070/2080 and so far every model I've seen on Amazon is a good £100-£150 more expensive ? Not happy so far [emoji29]

As for pricing I was looking at Nvidia's website as I was comparing specs between the two at the time.

Edit: Shouldn't we really be comparing the 2080 Super to the 2070 Super though?

Last edited:
They are all supposed to be cheaper and faster... not priced the same, right? What retailers do though... :(

$710 at amazon... $10 more: https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce...ds=2080+super&qid=1563923390&s=gateway&sr=8-1

and that isn't an FE.
EVGA is usually about as expensive as ASUS on Amazon (that is, by far the 2 most expensive brands and the one you linked shows now at ~£815+delivery), you can grab a Zotac or MSI 2080 for ~£680. But so far the price is more pronounced in the 2070, had my eye on the MSI 2070 Armor/Ventus for £450-£470 and all the super came out at £550-£600 which is nearly 2080 territory.

Hope prices come down fast, was hoping to already have bought the GPU for my upgrade, more then half my other parts are on the way [emoji17]

Reviews show that already... For example, TPU showed an 8.3% increase... which is about what they got on the 2080 FE (9%). ;)
So the overclock performance is also increased. That's a bit better.
I think people are salty about this release because they carry negative emotions from the Turing release. When Pascal succeeded Maxwell (took 1.5 years), the 1070 was equal in performance with the 980ti, and the 1080 was 20%-25% faster, with the 1080ti matching performance with 980ti SLI. When Turing succeeded Maxwell (took 2.5 years!), the prices went up and the performance wasn't really there. 2080 stock is faster than 1080ti by 5%-15% on DX12 games and about the same on DX11 games; and 1080ti SLI beats a single 2080ti by about 30% at high resolutions. Things slowed down and people were disappointed by it.
Then 10 months later this refresh comes out and while I like what the 2060s and 2070s bring to the mid-range market, the 2080s is marginally better than the 2080. NVIDIA didn't market well in my opinion. Instead of being humble and saying "guys, we worked hard to bring you a slight performance increase at the same price point" they hyped it and called it "SUPER". Refreshed and rebranded cards are never well received too, look at the 9800 series.

Scores from the regular and the super were roughly the same ?

Back