• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

geforce ti4200 mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

captain_sHiFTy

CCW

Xtreme refugee
You havent told us what your Ti4200 is so we cant say whether or not this will beat your current cooling but it most probably will. As long as the air is blowing over the fins, it should nt matter too much whether it is blowing down or directly in front of the heat sink over it. You will need a good thermal interface material (TIM) between the GPU core and te heatsink. I use AS3 on my Ti4200 but you might want to try Arctic Silver 5 (link to review in my signiture.)

Craig

Grande Juan

While that is probably better than stock cooling, it does look like a space eater. If space is not a problem go for it, check out the card modding gallery for more ideas. CCW I believe with your current rank, you are not allowed links in your sig.;)

CCW

Xtreme refugee
Grande Juan said:
CCW I believe with your current rank, you are not allowed links in your sig.;)

I asked a Super Moderator if I would be allowed to have the link in my signiture before I put it in there, and I was told it would be fine.

Craig

Damian

Unless the stock cooling is extremely pathetic, this really won't be much better if at all. You'll be a lot better off with getting an SK-6+ and a 70mm fan and using AA epoxy to stick it onto the GPU (after lapping the GPU down, of course.) It should come out cheaper and astronomically better (what would you trust better? Something designed to cool a northbridge or something designed to cool an Athlon?) except for the fact that you'll lose quite a few PCI slots. Of course, you can do variations on this theme; for example, you could get a 1U heatsink and cooler to get a lower profile.

Long story short, if you really feel like spending money to overclock your ti4200, at least do it with a good CPU heatsink.

(Note about prices: I got my SK-6+ back in March for $10. It should cost about $8 now)

CCW

Xtreme refugee
Would you really trust Arctic Alumina Epoxy for something that heavy, I know its good strong stuff but personally Id use a cable tie on the card as well, through the moutning holes with some anti-static foma on the back to protect the PCB and resistors, in fact thats the method Im uing to hold my current cooler onto my Ti4200 with no thermal epoxy, just a thermal paste (AS3)

Craig

Damian

I'd trust it... after all, there's a huge surface area that's completely covered. Of course, emergency cable ties might not be a bad idea.

OP
captain_sHiFTy

captain_sHiFTy

i have an msi geforce4 ti4200 128 mb video card.
its being rma'd right now cuz the stock heatsink's heatsink pins were stripped and it kept coming off. i thought up this mod just before i sent it in cuz i was getting fed up with having to check that my heatsink was still on.

i DO have a volcano 6 that came stock with my processor that i COULD use, but the fan on its really loud (main reason why i replaced it with a volcano 12 in the first place. mmm, variable fan)

and no space isnt a problem. i have a pci sound card (wich im not sure if i should use, its a soundblaster live!, and i have an msi k7n2 lnforce2 board, and isnt the onboard sound on that better than the sound card? but its taking a load off my cpu so im using it)

so i could either use the northbridge heatsink + zalman fan or the cpu heatsink (which wouldnt look as cool IMO).

what you ppl think?

OP
captain_sHiFTy

captain_sHiFTy

oh, and im just wondering if the cooling properties would be better. whether itd mount or not is a whole nuther matter.

CCW

Xtreme refugee
How heavy is the Volcano 6, somethign really heavy without extra support on the graphics card could bend the PCB. Mounting it would involve a layer of Arctic Alumina, I have done this before but I usually also put cable ties through the mounting holes if possible to hold the card on with anti-static foam on the back to protect the PCB and resistors form the cable ties. Another thing, the Zalman will go on using mounting holes on the card so you wont have to use epoxy, you can use a good thermal interface material such as Arctic SIlver 5 which would conduct heat a lot better than the epoxy. Theres a link to a review I wrote on AS5 in my signiture.

Craig

OP
captain_sHiFTy

captain_sHiFTy

the volcano 6 is really loud, and yes it is pretty heavy. i was hoping on avoiding using it.

plus the zalman would look really cool IMO.

so would it be best to mount a fan pointing directly down on the heatsink, or blowing across

down would mean modding some kind of arm to hold it there, or mounting it directly on the heatsink

over would be using an out of the box zalman fan with arm (the one linked to in my first post) right over it.

or something to that affect.

what say you?

or maybe just a case fan with a duct or somn

CCW

Xtreme refugee
Is it possible for you to have acase fan in the side panel of your case blwoing air over the heatsink? This seems to be the easiest solution if its feasible for you to carry out.

Craig

OP
captain_sHiFTy

captain_sHiFTy

ya thats possible. id just have to cut a hole in the side of my case
:S
lol. only thing is i need a new power supply to do that. i ve run out of cables for mine

im running an msi nforce 2, an athlon 1800+(soon to be a 2500 barton), 2 case fans, a volcano 12, a hard drive, a cd burner, floppy drive, a geforce 4 ti4200, and a soundblaster live! card off my no name ATX 300 watt psu. Think i need a new one before i do this?

CCW

Xtreme refugee
Wel lits not a great power supply but you could buy a 5.25 cable splitter that splits one into two, you would need a male to two females. Ideally, you need a 400w PSU for any Athlon XP system considering that the processor and motherboards eat 100w, if not more alone without anything else.

Craig