• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gemini waterblock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I never accused you of stealing the spiral design, okay, I may have ... okay I did definitely make note of the very large similarity... I don't care either way really.

isn't doing a permanent seal bad though because then you can't open up the block to clean it every once in a while??
just my 2 cents.

I like seeing company reps represent themself on boards defending their products, gives the company a face, very respectable.

mounting stresses...

Hey Highlander, I still have a couple of questions about the installation of the cooler. I understand that you insert the snap-on dealies, then put the screws into the waterblock, then through the snap-on dealies (gotta love technical linguistics eh?)
My question is, it's not really obvious from the pictures or your descriptions, how exactly do you know when the correct amount of pressure is on the cpu?

Also....

some mobos have the small s462 holes, some have the bigger ones... which one is the gemini built for?

...otherwise, cool waterblocks man, elegant and simple design. (and light:D )

brothernod said:
-snip-
isn't doing a permanent seal bad though because then you can't open up the block to clean it every once in a while??
just my 2 cents.

I like seeing company reps represent themself on boards defending their products, gives the company a face, very respectable.

You don't need to open them up to clean them. Look at the Maze2. It's soldered together. No way you want to unsolder it just to clean it. Should you develop some surface contamination inside your block, there are plenty of solvents and cleaners that will make it like-new inside. That's one of the reasons I'm not fond of the Bong approach. It allows air-born contaminants into the coolant.

I also like seeing manufacturers show their faces in the forums, for the same reason. Just remember, if they're typing, they're not manufacturing... :D

Hoot

Hi Peter, (Gemini Cool) Fixiiit posted this comment to a few questions I asked him to answer. Below is my post followed with a reply from Fixiiit.

To Fixiiit: In another forum the discussion is whether you have a patent on the spiral water block design. Question to you sir, Do you have a patent on the Sipir@l shape/design/logo water block? If you do what is the patent # and what was the patent issued for? This is not to be negative towards you in anyway. Please only Fixiiit should respond.....

Fixiiit's Reply: Well I think the mix up is that NO I do not have a "PATENT" on the spir@l block. What I did do is the "Intent to patent" Which would protect me for 2 years. As patents are way way way expensive, and an intent to patent is only $80 and at the end of 2 years, I have the option to "Patent" or drop it.

Last edited:
please, please

an intent is only the filing of a form
it is not in any way enforceable, because there is nothing to enforce

the filing of an intent has several disclosure and use limitations, Fixitt may not even meet the filing requirements

and the known existance, and public disclosure, of other instances of this curved channel application render this whole exercise moot,
except for the lawyers of course

people seem to think that this design is the last word,
to which I would say
not by a long shot, much more to come

be cool

From what I've heard, I don't think the fixittt vs. gemini shibackel is ONLY about design. I'm not a mod, but I think the discussion should be kept to a minimum about it before a flame-war breaks out. :mad:

The Gemini block does look impressive, and I like how skinny it is (skinny blocks are pretty :beer: ). I have a maze2 sitting next to me, and concidering the rather low price of the gemini, I might order one for comparison. Does anybody know if Gemini submitted or will submit a test block to procooling for the SocketA waterblock roundup?

<note> Holy Hoot, you have a lot of stars :D </note>

DodgeViper said:
Hi Peter, (Gemini Cool) Fixiiit posted this comment to a few questions I asked him to answer. Below is my post followed with a reply from Fixiiit.

To Fixiiit: In another forum the discussion is whether you have a patent on the spiral water block design. Question to you sir, Do you have a patent on the Sipir@l shape/design/logo water block? If you do what is the patent # and what was the patent issued for? This is not to be negative towards you in anyway. Please only Fixiiit should respond.....

Fixiiit's Reply: Well I think the mix up is that NO I do not have a "PATENT" on the spir@l block. What I did do is the "Intent to patent" Which would protect me for 2 years. As patents are way way way expensive, and an intent to patent is only $80 and at the end of 2 years, I have the option to "Patent" or drop it.
If I remember correctly, that discussion occured quite awile ago and fix has now been in comunicato with the Gemini cool....yada...yada...yada...Its all cool.

But my thoughts are you can't go wrong with that w/b or the spiral. I have no idea if fix is going to continue making his version of the spiral for the watercooling comunity or not, but it started as a hobby and when a hooby is no longer fun, you stop.

Word:cool:

I don't see what the whole uproar about patenting the spiral design is about! I mean, it's a spiral, the logically perfect shape for a waterblock interior, what more evidence do you want?

"If we were built from the spiral, then everything we put our hands to is infused with the spiral!" -Maximilian Cohen, Pi

increasing turbulence

Peter,

Have you heard of the following method of promoting turbulent flow?

Use an end mill to machine shallow dimples on the base of your water channel. This will disrupt the laminar flow along the base of your water channel.

Some engine pistons use the method to promote air/fuel mixture in the combustion chamber.

FYI.

fuzzba11 said:
I don't see what the whole uproar about patenting the spiral design is about! I mean, it's a spiral, the logically perfect shape for a waterblock interior, what more evidence do you want?

"If we were built from the spiral, then everything we put our hands to is infused with the spiral!" -Maximilian Cohen, Pi

Perfect shape? Not by a long shot. It just happens to be
one of the better designs you can actually make on a
milling machine. :D

You think that its possible to make a block with channels that spiral starting from the bottom working its way to the top, like parking garages?

You can make any shape you dream of using layered material deposition methods. Shapes that you never dreamed could be machined can be made this way.

But why would you want a block modeled like a parking garage?

LOL! I dont want it to be modeled like a parking garage, I just want the spirals to go upwards like a grand staircase. The inlet would be at the base and it would work itself up, with one whole entire spiral every 3/4" or so.

It sounds neat, but with all the heat down on the bottom side of the block I would think it would be better to keep the water action down there also. Just my $.02 worth

Hoot

I was thinking the same thing as hoot, you want the water near the heat source so there is less distance the heat has to travel to get to the water.

nah, more mass won't necessarily mean better heat dissipation, for a simple reason: eventually, in the cpu situation, equilibrium is reached. instead of a small chunk of copper being warm, it's just a large chunk of copper that reaches the same temperature, just later. this is quite evident if you look at how the swiftech mc462s and such doing as well as the (much) ligher thermalright sk6...

Hey what if you make a water block in the shape of the orb with the fins and such and then have a spiral channel in the base and above the block is a fan. I know that this would defeat the purpose going water cooling to reducve noise, but would having a fan to aid the water to cool teh cpu help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back