• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

General Questions Before I Finally Go Wireless

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ashura

Right, so I want a wireless router so I can I connect to the internet from my room and dont want to go throguh the hassle of wires. I mainly use the internet to DL files ranging from 10 megs to 4 gigs. My transfer speed when wired has never gone up past 500 kb\s and that one time I reached 500 was probably some fluke. So from what I undersatnd... all I need to do is buy a wireless router along with a wireless pci card. But I still have a bunch of questions...

1. With my wired router, a usb connection was slower then with a pci ethernet connection. Is that the same with wireless stuff?

2. a. I've been looking at 802.llb stuff. If I switched to 802.llg, would my internet DL speeds drammatically increase? I'm trying to go for the cheapest solution.

b. Would my wireless DL speeds be lower then my wired ones?(my room is less then 20 ft from the modem if you go through the bathroom)

3. Is there something in general about wireless security I should know or is it specialized with whatever router I get?

4. I plan to buy it this week and the cheapest solutions I see are

802.11b Wireless Access Point with 4 port Router from D Link (DI-514) + D-Link 802.lb Wireless PCI Card (DWL-520)

or

Netgear Wireless 802.11b 11mbps 4-Port Router + Wireless 802.11b 11mbps USB Adapter

Both are 60 bucks alltogether after rebates. What do yuo guys suggest buying?

Thanks

JohnnyTheRed

1. As long as it uses a USB2.0 connection, there should be no difference between the two. If, however, it uses USB1.1, then it will be noticeably slower than a PCI interface.

2a. If you're only getting a router to share the internet, and you won't be sharing files between computers in your house, then 802.11B is the standard for you. It's maximum transfer speed is 11mbps. However, your internet speed is capped at 3.0mbps (and might even be lower).

2b. As long as the paint on your walls isn't made out of lead, or your walls aren't two-feet thick and concrete, you shouldn't have any problems.

3. Certain things will be applicable to only some routers, but in general: Change your SSID; Disable SSID broadcast; Enable WEP/WPA, change the admin password. There's more, but in general those apply to all wifi setups.

4. Without looking up the specs on them, if they offer the same transfer rates, then it should not matter who you go with. (But check to make sure they both cap their speeds at 11mbps)

su root

Senior Member, --, I teach people how to read your
Ashura said:
Right, so I want a wireless router so I can I connect to the internet from my room and dont want to go throguh the hassle of wires. I mainly use the internet to DL files ranging from 10 megs to 4 gigs. My transfer speed when wired has never gone up past 500 kb\s and that one time I reached 500 was probably some fluke. So from what I undersatnd... all I need to do is buy a wireless router along with a wireless pci card. But I still have a bunch of questions...

1. With my wired router, a usb connection was slower then with a pci ethernet connection. Is that the same with wireless stuff?
Yes, it is a limitation/characteristic of USB. USB wasn't made for always-connected devices, it was made for compatability and hotplug technology, not dependability.

2. a. I've been looking at 802.llb stuff. If I switched to 802.llg, would my internet DL speeds drammatically increase? I'm trying to go for the cheapest solution.
You would probably see an increase in the speeds, but nothing dramatic. 802.11b (eleven B) provides for a theoretical maximum of 11Mbits/s, or 1.375 megabytes per second. That's plenty more than your current top speed of 500kilobytes/s. So theoretically it wouldn't make a difference, but it would depending on how far away you are, and what else is going on on the network. If you transfer a lot of stuff internally, I would recommend a G router, if not, if it's just surfing and downloading, then B should be fine.

b. Would my wireless DL speeds be lower then my wired ones?(my room is less then 20 ft from the modem if you go through the bathroom)
Probably, but not noticeably. In networking, the medium (air, wires) shouldn't matter, as long as there is enough bandwidth. However, there is slightly more overhead needed for wireless and there is a bigger problem with attenuation and/or interference. So wires, currently, are better.

3. Is there something in general about wireless security I should know or is it specialized with whatever router I get?

Read the manuals, and read the stickies here in the networking section. There are a few things you can do to reduce the possibilty that someone will break into your network and/or use your internet connection: Disable SSID broadcasting, MAC filtering, WEP encryption to name a few.

4. I plan to buy it this week and the cheapest solutions I see are

802.11b Wireless Access Point with 4 port Router from D Link (DI-514) + D-Link 802.lb Wireless PCI Card (DWL-520)

or

Netgear Wireless 802.11b 11mbps 4-Port Router + Wireless 802.11b 11mbps USB Adapter

Both are 60 bucks alltogether after rebates. What do yuo guys suggest buying?

Thanks
Havn't used either, sorry.

OP
A

Ashura

I see. Thanks a lot for all the information guys! =) I'll go ahead and buy the D-Link package and hook up the internet to my room as soon as possible. Once again, thanks a lot.