• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

General Thoughts / Advice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Haturee

Okay, So I want to start by saying that this build isn't really conventional? I guess could be the word.
I know a lot of it is unnecessary, But I'm building it anyways just for the hell of it, cuz why not right?

Okay, so What I have currently...
NZXT Phantom Red case
Asus Maximus VIII Extreme Mobo
Intel i7 6700k Skylake
32GB G.Skill Trident DDR4 3200 (4x8gb)
Samsung evo 850 256gb ssd
2 x Seagate 4tb externals
2 x Asus Gtx 1080 Strix OC editions

That's pretty much it right now besides so peripherals.

What I plan on getting for this though to finish it up is...

Samsung SM951 AHCI 512 gb M.2
Samsung 850 evo 1 tb ssd
2 x Predator x34 (maybe)
iCTABLE
Aquaduct 720XT M5 liquid cooler

Im sure there are a couple more things I'm forgetting, but I'd like to get some opinions from some of
the more experienced guys on how they feel about a set up like this. I of coarse want to game in 4k
but It doesn't have to be all the time, which is why I'm still unsure about monitors. The rest of the build is just to
have a monster of a computer for pretty much no reason other than its going to be a beast.
If there is anything that could make this better by any means please let me know!

No point in that motherboard, aND if you dont use close to 16gb of memory (check), don't get 32.

You plan on gaming g across 2 monitors? A littletter confused...

Edit: oh wait you have that board and all the ram, lol.... umm seems like a good idea, the sm951.. :)

I already have the Motherboard, but what would you recommend? I got it based off of the amount of features it had
and how flashy it was pretty much, Like I said I just want this build to just be over the top. I will Check the ram usage
and if its not near 16 I'll only everyday use it with 16 in it. But again I already have 32. I've been away from home for a long
time on business so I'm not too big int ogaming any more, but I'd like to be. Would gaming over 2 screens be practical? The
set up I planned for the iCTABLE was 2 gaming monitors and a TV. The 2 monitors on bottom and tv top center. But yes,
gaming will be the main use of the rig.

I've been looking a lot more today.
And I think I know what you mean by no point in that motherboard.
I'm going to get another and go x99 so I can toy with the newer 2011 v3 chips intel has out
I plan on getting the Asus rampage V or maybe the strix, Havent decided yet. I still have a bit
before I go home. So we will see, I also plan on getting the the 6950x and the 6850k cpus.
From what Ive been reading and watching the 6850k is perfect for the high end gamer, but if you want to stream
and edit and all that mumbo jump the 6950x is unparalleled.

Thoughts?

My thoughts havent changed. I would go no higher than a strix level for your uses. But you can happily use others that cost less.

Can't say I understand why you are going with more cores and such when you don't appear to use them. Don't get over 6850k. ;)

Last edited:
Since it doesn't look like anyone else has commented on this, I will. It is pretty impractical to game with 2 monitors. Mostly just for practical reasons. Depending on the kind of game you play, it may be really inconvenient, for example, in a shooter, the crosshairs would always be right in the middle of the two screens! So, for those types of games, sometimes an odd number of screens is better.

You certainly have enough GPU power to push all the pixels on a multimonitor setup though.

I don't know why that slipped my mind, Mokrunka!
I'll start with 1 monitor for now lol

Now...you're confusing me. In one thread you're getting a Sammy 950 and here ya say the 951?

I have the 950 Pro version....does a sight better on the seq reads than the 951 ;)

Last edited:
This was a first thread. I kinda just wanted to go all out on everything.
With advice and input from some of these guys I have changed a bit
and posted it In a new thread, the actual build thread. Sorry for the confusion

Back