• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gentoo installation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LiGhTBoY

After 2-3 years of messing around in various linux distros, I've decided to install Gentoo on my main rig. The rig is an Athlon 1700+ (1.6Ghz) ,256MB ram, on an adsl connection (down:640k/up:128k). I'm using arkaine's overclockix to install it, and browse the gentoo installation guide (and post this). So far I don't have any problems (*knocks on wood*). How much time do you think it will take to finish the installation?
TIA

Samurai_Punch

Typically i've been able to run through an install (stage 2) in about 3-6 (3Ghz HT P4 w/ 1G RAM) hours depending on how much i'm paying attention and the ammount of bandwidth i have available... But the last time i installed it i FUBARed my boot loader...

My laptop keeps overheating to want to reinstall, or spend the time

SickBoy

Inactive Moderator
When I really focused on it on my successful installation attempt (I had a few days off of work) it took me about 36 hours from beginning until the time I was able to boot into KDE, with the majority of that time being sat idle compiling XFree86 and KDE. I get max about 1.5 Mbit download speeds on my cable modem so that helps quite a bit.

I presume you're doing stage 1....

OP
L

LiGhTBoY

Yea you guessed it, stage 1 here.

So far am doing the bootstrapping thingy.

OP
L

LiGhTBoY

Thought I should post something else to give you an idea why life is not fair:

Murphy's Laws:

1)Nothing is as easy as it looks
2)Everything takes longer than you think
3)Anything that can go wrong will go wrong
4)If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong. Corollary: If there is a worse time for something to go wrong, it will happen then.
5)If anything simply cannot go wrong, it will anyway.
6)if you perceive that there are four possible ways in which a procedure can go wrong, and circumvent these, then a fifth way, unprepared for, will promptly develop
7)Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse
8)If everything seems to be doing well, you have obviously overlooked something
9)Nature always sides with the hidden flaw
10)It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
(C) 1999-2000 Four Jokers Inc.

Ok after all these let me start with today's morning. I got up, washed up and went out. The weather was absolutely fine: no clouds, no rain, nothing. For the last 2-3 days it has been raining, but not much. Seeing the weather so fine, I decided to do the above mentioned gentoo installation. 7 hours into the installation NO problems with it going on. But the weather has changed dramatically(take a look at the 9th law). While am typing this there is a lightning storm going on. I don't know what to do: stop the installation and unplug the PC, or continue the installation and not worry since it is plugged in a surge protector?...... Am going for the second option for now.

Cowboy Shane

Good luck, but you are temping numbers 3 and 4 from your list.
3)Anything that can go wrong will go wrong
4)If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong. Corollary: If there is a worse time for something to go wrong, it will happen then.

If the power goes out on you, then all you need to do is boot with the cd, mount your partitions, skip to the part about chrooting into your gentoo system, and then continue from where you were before the power went out. (Been there, done that :()

OP
L

LiGhTBoY

Thanks I'll note that.
I have a question about the kernel installation.I'll be installing gentoo-sources. In the kernel guide it lists a few USE flags I can use.
Do I do:
export USE="aavm evms2" (can I use both of them?) and then
emerge --usepkg gentoo-sources ?

Thanks.

OP
L

LiGhTBoY

Well I did export USE="aavm" and then emerge --usepkg gentoo-sources.

SickBoy

Inactive Moderator
Usually if it's something that you'll be wanting to keep, I would suggest putting it in your USE variable in the make.conf. If it's one time only, setting it on the command line as you emerge the package is OK.

Christoph

JAPH Senior
I always turn off my computer during a lightning storm. There's only a marginal risk of something bad happening, but if it happens you're out several hundred dollars and dozens of hours of installation/configuration time.

OP
L

LiGhTBoY

Well I finished the installation last night (took a bit over 12 hours) and now I can't get my network configured....the output of ifconfig eth0 is correct, but it doesn't show any packets sent or received (which is a problem right?).I have the correct nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf. In /etc/hosts there is only 127.0.0.1 localhost (which is the only entry needed right?). What I'm I missing here?

SickBoy

Inactive Moderator
What kind of network adapter are you using? And did you compile the driver into the kernel statically or as a module? Did you add eth0 to boot using rc-update command?

OP
L

LiGhTBoY

I'm using a realtek adapter (8139too ???). I *think* I compiled it in the kernel and not as a module. I don't remember adding anything involving eth0 to the rc-update....I'll try that now.

SickBoy

Inactive Moderator
I think something in the install doc should have said to run rc-update add eth0 default or something of the like. It's easy to miss something in those install instructions, I have done it before.... like trying to compile something before I have bootstrapped and gotten gcc... lol....

OP
L

LiGhTBoY

I did
rc-update add net.eth0 boot and i see something about bringing up eth0.....ok,but still no network. When I try to access a host by its hostname it says no host found (or something like that). When I try to access it by its ip I get network unreachable.

fiji

ok if you have the right modules compiled but not sure which oens go back to the live cd, and chroot to your install and whatnot

and do a

#emerge hotplug
#rc-update add hotplug default
#rc-update del net.eth0 boot

then reboot

then

dhcpcd eth0

and ifconfig eth0

see if you get an ip

if you do just add net.eth0 to default