• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gentoo Linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

Ok I'm a linux newbie but I ahve heard nice things about Gentoo and thought I would give it a try. I have pretty much got it all installed I jsut have a few problems however.

1. When I start my computer it goes to the GRUB Promt. At first i didn't know what to do so I hit the TAB and looked at the options. When I type in configurefile or whatever it is it then loads into the splash screen and works.

2. I'm at the splash screen and have two OSs on my comp. Windows XP and Gentoo. So I select gentoo and then it goes through the whole startup procedure looking just fine. Then where it says login it's wierd. I'm not on a network and am just using it for personal use. On the step where you had to configure hostname is just made my hostname mymachine.mydomain.com. I go into /etc/hosts and i put in 192.168.1.1, I'm behind a router and my IP to the router is that..... So when I select Gentoo and it runs through the startup sequence it says

192.168.1.1 mymachine.mydomain.com mymachine login:

just to try it i put in #root and the pass for #root and it won't work. So i need to edit that somewhere. I would like to get rid of all the 192...... junk and just have a login.

if you have any ideas please inform me. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks =UFO=

XWRed1

You login is a"root" and then use the password you gave it when you installed.

You typically always have to log in unless you go out of your way to turn it off, just like NT4/Win2k/Winxp.

naif

Check the files /etc/issue and /etc/issue.net

The later one is used to display a message when a person logs from a remote location. Anyways, most distrobutions update the /etc/issue file everything you boot your system. Try changing the contents of the /etc/issue and you will see the message has changed. Then reboot the system and see whats the display the next time you boot your machine. If its the same message like before, with the ip address in it, I guess you will have to edit your rc files. I dont know much about the Gentoo distro, so I cant help you much with the rc files