• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gentoo LiveCD - install?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

donciakas

Hi, If there is a way to install gentoo from live cd? i thought i downloaded normal installation cd, but i was wrong & don't have hardware to write cd's :(. And does it have any graphical enviroment? i tried to enter kde, gnome and others, but it didn't work. It was my first time @ gentoo please help

MRD

You can install gentoo fine from any bootable disk or cd that has network support. My first gentoo install was done from a 1.44 fedora boot disk.

Lots of people do it from knoppix so they get a gui to web surf while it compiles stuff.

The gentoo livecd does not have any gui installed, it is completely text based. Even if you install using knoppix or something similar, you will be installing from the command line in a terminal.

Gnufsh

donciakas said:
Hi, If there is a way to install gentoo from live cd? i thought i downloaded normal installation cd, but i was wrong & don't have hardware to write cd's :(.
Yes. The normal installation is a "live cd." In addition, you can install it from knoppix.
And does it have any graphical enviroment? i tried to enter kde, gnome and others, but it didn't work. It was my first time @ gentoo please help
The gentoo install cd doesn't have a graphical envirnment. Gentoo does, if you install it (eg emerge kde to install kde).