• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Get a single WD640GB or keep my RAID?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmdixon85

Hi, just wondering what would be faster?

I currenty have 2x WD2500YS (250GB) drives in RAID zero. They have three 83GB (ish) Platters.

Here are my HDTune results:

Untitled-18.png

Would a single WD 640GB (WD6401AALS) be faster than my current RAID setup?

Some HDTune results would be great! I tested using 64KB block size and the most accurate setting. Thanks :beer:

madhatter256

Special Member
I have the 16mb cache 640gig model at home. I can run an HD tune again when I get home and post the picture up.

Before that I had a single 160gig seagate drive (with single 160gig platter) and the 640gig performed faster when I upgraded it (I did a clone copy of the data so it was not a fresh install).

OP
jmdixon85

jmdixon85

Thanks for the warp speed replies! :)

I would really love two 640GB blacks in RAID but can't really afford it right now. :(

I'm thinking get a single 640GB black and put my old 250GB disks in my server with a new RAID card in a RAID 5 array (already have 2x 250GB disks in server). Will get another 640GB black when I've recoverd from Xmas, lol

Looking to the HD Tune results Madhatter256 :):thup:

EDIT: Thanks for the link Earthdog

I'm hoping that with even a single 640GB black that the one less platter and higher density will increase "real world" performance.

Last edited: