• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Get your 9800pro from Best Buy for $233 like I just did!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Methodx

Microcenter is selling Radeon 9800pros for $239. They might be OEM, I'm not sure but it doesn't matter.

I printed the product ad out from Microcenter's website and took it down to Best Buy. They sold me their $299 Radeon 9800pro for $233 because they matched Microcenter's price plus 10% of the difference!

Sweet!

In order to do this, you have to have a Microcenter near your area, and call and make sure Microcenter has at least 1 card in stock. Their online site won't let you order one, but their store still has them in stock.

I called, they had 2 in stock, so I put one on hold under my name. That way when I went to Best Buy I knew it Microcenter would have it in stock. This also works for Circuit City because they match prices too.

jaigandhi5

Registered
i live in canada and there are no microcenter stores :( and i cant find any 9700pros or 9500pros anywhere! i even checked stores online tht are in canada! this ****es me oFF!

AMD-Me

Aww, you even beat my best buy employee discount i paye 246 for mine :D . Im suprised they matched the price, they dont HAVE to match your price, they sold it to you under cost, somthing they rarely do, consider yourself lucky :cool:

tom10167

Methodx said:
Microcenter is selling Radeon 9800pros for $239. They might be OEM, I'm not sure but it doesn't matter.

I printed the product ad out from Microcenter's website and took it down to Best Buy. They sold me their $299 Radeon 9800pro for $233 because they matched Microcenter's price plus 10% of the difference!

Sweet!

In order to do this, you have to have a Microcenter near your area, and call and make sure Microcenter has at least 1 card in stock. Their online site won't let you order one, but their store still has them in stock.

I called, they had 2 in stock, so I put one on hold under my name. That way when I went to Best Buy I knew it Microcenter would have it in stock. This also works for Circuit City because they match prices too.

Why would you give money to a place like Best Buy when you could have just bought the card from Microcenter?

Speed_Mechanic2

stan03 said:
and did you see thier resellerrating...?

It's a B&M store with an (almost) obligatory online website. Major B&M chains with online branches almost always have a very poor Reseller Rating. Have you checked out what Best Buy (2.35) and CompUSA (2.65) for Reseller Rating before purchasing from them?

SK8

whats a 9800pro going for @ bestbuy b/c i have 200+ in cash and 100 in giftcards and i thought since everything is overpriced there then i would think of it as a 100 discount instead of cash...

OP
M

Methodx

Blurry: It doesn't matter what Microcenter's rating is because you go to Best Buy, CompuUSA, or Circuit City and get the price matching. You aren't actually buying from Microcenter.

AMD-Me: I do consider myself lucky. The employee didn't check cost, or really care at all. Just called Microcenter and asked them if they really have the cards in stock for $239. They said yes, so the Best Buy employee gave me the discount.

Tom10167: What's it matter to "give the money to Best Buy" instead of Microcenter? I like Best Buy better. It's bigger and cheaper. You also get an additional 10% of the difference back with price matching.

Sk8: The 9800 pro is normally $299 and Best Buy. If you're looking to buy a card and you happen to have a Microcenter near you, do the price matching thing.

Interesting to note that Best Buy's cost is $246! They make $50 on every card. That's good to know as a Best Buy shareholder. (Hey, wait, as a shareholder why am I telling you people how to get their stuff below cost!?)

seer33

the thing w/ bestbuy is, were not gonna give you 10% unless u specifically ask, ive had customers price match, but never have they asked for 10%, i didnt even know we did this until i overheard my manager tell one of my coworkers.

webfreak

tom10167 said:
Why did I just buy a 9700Pro when a 9800pro is ~$20 more? *sigh*

Same here, I just bought the $219 Powercolor 9700 Pro from newegg two days ago. Oh well. :rolleyes:

OP
M

Methodx

That's still a good buy because 9800 pros are normally $299 and most electronics stores, so don't be bummed about the 9700 pro. Awesome card.

kickassclone

Registered
$299 too funny

Buy the time I get around to buildin my rig the 9800pro will be $175 bucks or cheaper.......That might be next week!

Too funny.

Spend $1000 today and tommorrow it's worth $500

Isn't buying a computer fun:D

Don't cry when you buy a computer just kiss your money goodbye
and hope your computer is not old in 5 weeks.

Kenshiro

I just picked mine up at the local microcenter too. But I still have a better deal than yours. You will have to combine another offer from them. I was there at the store and they only have 2 instock. The other deal that I mentioned is that you have to apply for their credit card. Once approved, you have to make a purchase of at least $50, and you can send in a mail in rebate for $50 also. I used that credit and purchase the 9800pro, and this also qualifies me for the rebate.

So, after the rebate, the cost of the card is $200. I think this is better than the deal at bestbuy after matching prices.