• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting a GTX 660 -- will this PSU be good enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flynismo

So, finally decided on getting the GTX 660 after much research and debate, and was going to upgrade the PSU as well.

Then I saw that the 660 only requires 24 amps on the 12v rail(s), and my current PSU has a combined 31 amps.

Here is my current PSU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817342010

Now, it seems this PSU should be fine, but I just wanted to get feedback to make sure.

Also, I've had this PSU for 4 1/2 years now, running the rig in my sig...so I know that I'll need to replace it at some point anyway, but being the holidays, I'm strapped for cash and would like to wait a few months to get a new one if possible.

I'll also soon be upgrading to a 3570k, which requires less power than my current CPU...hoping that will help extend the life of this PSU even further.

Thanks for any feedback!

This PSU is strong enough for a 660 but its a cheap PSU. You need to never EVER go cheap on PSU. A bad PSU can take your whole rig with him if he die.

With how much you'll be spending on the hardware, it's a very good idea to invest the extra ~$50 for a quality PSU. You can usually find some nice ones on sale as well. Protect your investments! :)

This PSU is strong enough for a 660 but its a cheap PSU. You need to never EVER go cheap on PSU. A bad PSU can take your whole rig with him if he die.

I agree, but so can a good PSU when it dies...

So just to make sure, I'm not missing anything? It should be able to handle a GTX 660?

So just to make sure, I'm not missing anything? It should be able to handle a GTX 660?

You're not listening to the advice given to you by experienced computer users. Yes, your PSU will handle a GTX 660 but it could put quite a strain on it
and forget about ever getting another one for SLI.

Get a new 750w or higher that has at least 61 amps on the 12-volt rail. You'll be glad you did and you won't be worrying all the time about a system failure.:drool:

flynismo said:

False Christian said:
You're not listening to the advice given to you by experienced computer users. Yes, your PSU will handle a GTX 660 but it could put quite a strain on it
and forget about ever getting another one for SLI.

Get a new 750w or higher that has at least 61 amps on the 12-volt rail. You'll be glad you did and you won't be worrying all the time about a system failure.:drool:

+1

My TPQ-1200-OC is now ~3yrs old and he already had some benching session at over 1200w of loads. This PSU never failed on me and im still using it with confidence.

Yes, you are right, a good PSU can die but good PSU last longer while being way more efficient and giving clean volts to your valuable hardware. Do some math, you want to deliver all the volts your (i dont know your entire rig ) 150$ mobo, 225$ CPU, 200$ GPU and your SSD?HDD? need with a 25$ PSU ?

Back