• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting a P4 3.06GHZ CPU, which mobo goes with it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

richklein

Hi all,

I am going to be an early adopter & get a 3.06 GHZ Processor. I know the PE mobos support hyperthreading & I was wondering what the best board to get would be.

I am leaning towards the Asus P4PE but am open to suggestions.

Thanks,
Rich

myzhi

Registered
Get a dual DDR motherboard. They should be out around the same time as when the P4 3.06 cpu are release.

OP
R

richklein

What are the real differences between the PE & Dual DDR mobos?

I am planning on getting the corsair 3200xms memory. Would that still afect me?

voxace

Registered
I have a 8IHXP and yes with a BIOS revision it does support Hyperthreading.
Even though it supports hyperthreading, does it meet the power requirements of the 3.06 GHz P4?
I have heard plenty of rumours and I can't wait til it is out so it is all cleared up!

Ross

Senior Intel-lectual
richklein--

The PC3200 (DDR400) probably won't be of benefit until the Prescotts are released next year, unless you are able to pull a 200+FSB overclock right now (and you'd be my hero :) ). The Granite bay will support up to 266 and and SiS 655 will support up to 333, which, according to overclockers.com will be absolutely no benefit (that whole 10lbs. of s#!t in a 5lb. bag thing...see the link): http://www.overclockers.com/tips00157/

I certainly can't say don't get PC3200, because it could be of use down the road on an OC'd Prescott setup (stock 166FSB), but PC2700 now (maybe 3000 if you're expecting a good OC, like >170FSB) instead will free up some cash for the mobo itself and will work with the Prescott when released...just won't be the "best" memory config if you plan to OC it.

Personally, rather than swap out myself, I just purchased a second stick of XMS 3200.

The Granite Bay mobos will have everything the PE mobos have and then some...most notably DCDDR and 8x AGP.

OP
R

richklein

Ross, what was the verdict with the Asus P4PE board? Is that a keeper?

Ross

Senior Intel-lectual
It was the best overall board I tried no doubt about it. Unfortunately, it still has Asus' world famous voltage reg problems. Vcore was literally all over the place and for $198, there was no way I was putting up with that :mad:

The Albatron in my sig is holding me over for Granite Bay. I actually like it a lot. Better than any 845E/645DX boards I've tried (and that's quite a list now). It doesn't work the memory any better than any of them (or any worse), but it does OC 5 FSB higher than any other I tried, including the PE. The P4PE wins in the fact that even at 159FSB, I could run 2-2-2-5 mem settings and on *any* 845E/645DX board I tried, anything over 150FSB and 2.5-3-3-7 was about all they were happy with.

Even though the other 845Es, 645DXs, and PE all limited the OC to 158-159FSB, the difference with the mem timings on the PE is fairly drastic in terms of benches. Even at 164FSB on the Albatron, I can't bench the mem higher than the PE was @ 159FSB 2-2-2-5.

So, the FSB limit on the PE was definitely made up for by how well the memory was handled and I would definitely recommend it with the caveat on the Vcore regulation. You just need to be cautious with it and know that it will somewhat limit how high of an OC you will get (because the damn idle Vc goes so high and it drops so much on load). It was as high as .11V over the setting at idle and *still* dropped to .06V under the setting on load. That is a HUGE swing between idle/load. The Albatron only moves .04V max between idle and load.

Now if a $110 mobo from a "newcomer" can do it, I don't see why Asus can't on what was a $200 mobo (now $165). That has pretty much turned me away from an Asus as a choice for a GB mobo and I've actually started thinking about an Albatron GB, but I think the Abit GB7 Ultra will be my first choice. Of course, I reserve the right to change my mind depending who has a board out first :D If I do somehow wind up with an Asus mobo and it has the same VR issue, it will definitely have been their last chance with me.