• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting and older Dell soon...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mdameron

...and for FREE to boot! My sis has caught the 'looks good' craze and will be getting and iBook or something, so I get a double hand-me-down Dell (Dad ---> Sis --->Me :D)!

Anyway, I don't know the model number yet... but I have a couple general questions.

1) I know that the fan is VERY loud, and I'm going to try to clean it when I get it to see if that helps... if it doesn't I'll get a new one... where is the best place to get a replacement fan on the inter-web? I might end up getting one even if cleaning it quiets it down, because I believe it's the original fan in it, and I want peace of mind.

2) BATTERY! I'll want to get another battery for it, because it won't be plugged in a lot, and I believe it's also very old... where is the best place to get one for it?

Thanks guys! <3 free stuff, especially a lappy! I'm going to wipe it and put 2000 pro on it, and upgrade the RAM to the max when I get it, but that'll be a whole 'nother question when I can get the model number for it.

Thanks again for all links & advice!

billb

mdameron said:
.. but I have a couple general questions....

Anyway, I don't know the model number

2) BATTERY! I'll want to get another battery for it, because it won't be plugged in a lot, and I believe it's also very old... where is the best place to get one for it?
I assume this is a laptop. Get the part number for the battery (it should be on the battery) and google it. The longer you search the lower the price you will find.

OP
mdameron

mdameron

*Update*

It's a Latitude L400. 700MHz P3, with 256mb of RAM (I think that maxes it out). Small and light, and I have both the floppy and CD-Rom drives to boot! (they're external.)

Formatting as we speak w/ 2k Pro.

Can't figure out how to mess with the cooling fan at all! It really is loud... definitely couldn't sit in a classroom with it.

Help!

Lionsault_100

Put a fork in it, it's done...

No seriously, sell it on ebay and get a latitude CPx series or a T2x thinkpad - those l400's feel like they are made out of communion wafers anyway

OP
mdameron

mdameron

Uh, no thanks. ;)

No money, and a free laptop. What could I get for it anyway, $200? This thing is perfect for my needs. And I like its lightness.

=ACID RAIN=

Seems to me like you're doing everything but the obvious ;)

EBAY. Ebay for "L400 fan" and "L400 battery new" and you'll have exactly what you want. I just inherited an older dell too, an inspiron 4000. It needed a hard drive, so I bought a 40gb at the egg, and it needed a nic so I bought a mini-pci nic off of ebay. Later I'll get a battery and memory, but right now the battery lasts an hour and it has 256mb of ram, so I formatted a 15GB partition with win2k like you, then added slackware to a 10GB partition (includes swap). Not sure what I'll do with the rest hehe.

Think I'm gonna buy a wardriver pcmcia card for kicks :D

OP
mdameron

mdameron

Oh yeah, trust me, I went to ebay. I found two entries for a fan for this lappy... But I don't want to buy something and then just let it sit there cause I don't know how to put it in. Googling brought up guides that you have to pay for, and nothing specific to this.

I looked around on the lappy itself. Battery and hard drive are a piece of cake... but the last thing I want to do is damage something by fiddling too much with it...

=ACID RAIN=

I know some models also have screw lables on the bottom, such as K for keyboard etc. Most laptops only require you to pull the keyboard to get to the CPU/heatsink, but that's not a hard rule. But if it's a dell, I'll betcha all you need to pull is the keyboard ;).

OP
mdameron

mdameron

From looking at that pdf, it seems not too hard at all. Can't wait to do it. I should also replace the hard drive too, that thing is ultra noisy! Are they all the same? From browsing newegg, i see ata-6, ata-7, sata... i know it's not sata. I'll just have to look around a bit more.