• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting broadband today, what multiplayer FPS should I be playing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gingo

Up until now I've been paralized with a painfully slow dialup connection (21K) so playing multiplayer games was out of the question. However I have played CS, Day of Defeat and some other HL mods a while back even on my slow connection. Now that I'll have cable internet I shouldn't have a hard time trying to play most multiplayer games.

I'm an FPS fan and I'm thinking about reinstalling HL and catching up on some DoD, but I hear that the latest version messed it up pretty bad, is that true?

I have UT2004 so I may install that. And I've heard good things about the Battlefield games (1942, Vietnam, DC mod) but I haven't played them.

Any input would be great.

sandman001

Just Freeze It
Battlefield 1942 and all the mods, battleifiedl vietnam, Day of Defeat, and counterstrike.

The latest version is just the steam version, it isn't really a big deal.

Radical

Battlefield 1942, Desert Combat, and Vietnam are all very good games. I liked 1942 and Desert Combat the best, but Vietnam was good, too.

OP
gingo

gingo

I can still play DoD by installing my original copy of HL, updating to latest version, then downloading the latest version of DoD right?

AC Slater

UT2k4 is another one to add to the list since you already have it. It has a tons of fun mods like Carball.

sandman001

Just Freeze It
gingo said:
I can still play DoD by installing my original copy of HL, updating to latest version, then downloading the latest version of DoD right?

I'm 99% sure you can, I haven't tried it though, so...

Tatuya

DoD is a terrible game IMO, Call of Duty has a much more fun and better online multiplayer mode/s. Also, RTCW:ET is pretty good as well if you are into the WWII genre and a TF kind of game. Did I mention it's free?

Another great online game that is free and that I think rocks is America's Army. Pretty good graphics with nice sound effects and killer realism (no pun intended).

trueplaya4ever8

Need to add Halo to your list :D. i really havent played many other fps. i did try Enemy Territory it was ok, for being free definately worth a try. I absolutely hate my copy of Battlefield Vietnam. I tryed the demo to Unreal 2k4, pretty fun. Nothing so far has been as good as Halo, at least in my mind. Its ashamed i wont be able to get Halo 2, cause i am seeling my xbox so i can buy pc games. Everyone says good things about call of duty so i may give it a try, maybe battlefield 1942 with some mods. anyways there are plenty of good Fps's out there, good luck picking a few.

Bashar

Guess its about the type of FPS you like. I have always like games like halo, tribes, UT's and Quake's. I played 1942 (DC and also Vet) and they are pretty fun and run well. But like I said I like UT type games, so when ut2k4 came out I got it and have only been playing it. Since you have UT2k4 already I would just give it a shot and type the diffrent game types and mods. You have nothing to loose since you own it already.

I might reinstall Halo since I now have a much better video card then before.

Mr.Guvernment

Unreal 2004
Delta Force Black Hawk Down <---- My fav
Delta Force Black Hawk Down - Team Sabre add-on <----- My fav
FarCry

Flashfx2

Flex your new broadband bandwidth and give Americas Army a try, it's free and a hella fun game.

LmpPns

UT2004 in itself is "meh", in my opinion. But I haven't tried the mods so those could sway me. But as far as the Battlefield series goes, Battlefield is one of the best FPS games out there as of now. I don't care much for regular Battlefield, but more for the mods such as Forgotten Hope, Desert Combat, Eve of Destruction, and Galactic Conquest. Those are all pretty good quality mods. If you were to ask I prefer Forgotten Hope and Galactic Conquest.

I wouldn't jump on Halo, for me it's just a bland version of Battlefield 1942. It has the same concept somewhat, just barely any vehicles and no infantry classes. I also don't like the map design, you feel cramped/confined.

dippy_skoodlez

LmpPns said:
I wouldn't jump on Halo, for me it's just a bland version of Battlefield 1942. It has the same concept somewhat, just barely any vehicles and no infantry classes. I also don't like the map design, you feel cramped/confined.

Barely any vehicles? theres a ghost, warthog, scorpian, and a banshee!

No need for usable infantry classes, because your an engineered super soldier, and you can pick what weapons you use while running around. why infantry classes? LOL

Map design isnt the greatest, but 2 totally different games.

I found BF1942 really borind and bland. I prefer fast paced UT2k3 or wolf ET :D

Mr.Guvernment

Halo has crap multiplayer - the maps are big open ares with nothing to them - slow game play compared to say UT or DFBHD of BF1942

single player is kick arse however - but multiplayer just lacks completly compared to any other FPS onine out there

This is just my opinion.

Mustanley

Another vote for Enemy Territory. My two buds and myself all jump on one server from my house over the broadband connection and have a blast, and we don't even need to use teamspeak since we can yell at each other.