• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

getting crappy results on 2400+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

onewecallgod

Registered
my stuff:

volcano 7
albatron kx400-8x
xp 2400+
hyperx 512 mb ddr 333mhz
no thermal grease. too cheap to buy and too lazy to put it on

im getting so pretty bad results here. 13*175 @ 1.9v and ram @ 2.7v
idle 45C
load 51C

i cant quite get stable after 176 even with 1.95v

need help

asj

1. you NEED thermal grease

2. 2400+'s arn't the best overclockers in the world!

try booting up @ 12*166 then raise it till it reaches the max. (you will also have to raise the vcore to make it more stable. after that you can then raise your multi to the most stable place!

then come back to us and tell us what happened.

Oh and your ram is meant to go @ 166. but your ocing it so it could be that the ram is stopping your oc.

OP
O

onewecallgod

Registered
1. im planning to get some in the near future

2. 278mhz overclock is pretty pathetic for such a high voltage increase

my bios doesnt let me go lower than 13x
and i saw on a review that hyperx can go well above 350mhz and ive been told by people that hyperx is good overclocking stuff since it has built in hs and other nice goodies

Kamus

Registered
OMG, dude you're going to destroy that CPU if you don't put termal grease on it, i had a friend that bought an AMD cpu that came with a volcano heatsink (this was about a year ago), and since he wasn't used to having to deal with grease because in the past his CPU's came with an AMD heatsink that had pads on it he figured he'd just put it there, well, it booted ONCE... it died after that, then he calls me and tells me "there's something wrong with the new CPU, i think it's defective" well, sure enough my suspicions were correct, as soon as i uncovered the heatsink i saw that it had no thermal grease on it, he got lucky enough that he could exchange that CPU for a new one, next one i installed for him and worked like a champ, you NEED thermal grease ok? =P you really shouln't diss the CPU for not going that high with such crappy cooling man, hell, i'm surprised the CPU lived after an overclock =P anyway, i recomend you run your CPU at LOWER spec than it should run by default until you put some grease on it

pacino

The devil’s advocate
I don't think that thermal grease will do you any better OC IMO. As asj mentioned, 2400+'s aren't the best OC'able CPUs, I think your mobo is what holding you back _IF_ and only IF you're cpu can go to any higher overclock.. good luck :)

asj

remember the 2400+'s are not the best overclockers! You know you have a good 2400+ when it can do 2.2Ghz at stock voltage. But then anymore and you need ALOT of voltage!

OP
O

onewecallgod

Registered
mine could do 2.133 at stock voltage, but couldnt do 2180 on stock

even if the 2400+ isnt the best, i still hardly call 200mhz an overclock

asj

Well getting a 400Mhz overclock is a hard thing because these chips are already close to their limit! the 1700+'s having a lower speed have more room to overclock! thats why they go further on stock vcore!

When I was ocing my 2400+ for the first time I was hoping for 2200Mhz because I heard that they didn't oc good. But I got a good chip so it got me to 2.4Ghz! Iam guessing your chip isn't the best so I think you will have to call a 200Mhz oc an Overclock.

Bman1238

Disabled
1. get thermal grease

2. when i had my XP 2400, i could only get to 2.3GHz max and that was at 1.85 vcore and temps of 5c with ice water cooling.

donny_paycheck

Inactive Super Quad Mod
What thermal interface material are you using if not grease? The gummy thermal tape? If you're not using anything I'm surprised you can run it at all. Is your Volcano resting on the core with bare metal only?

Get some Arctic Silver 3. It's got the best thermally conductive statistics out of any goop/paste/whatever out there. You really should use paste, especially if you're overclocking.

Also the AIUCB 2400+ is the second stepping of Thoroughbred that AMD released. It's a good improvement over the AIUCA 2200+, but it's by no means an excellent overclocker, as others have said.

Off topic:
Kamus said:
OMG, dude you're going to destroy that CPU if you don't put termal grease on it, i had a friend that bought an AMD cpu that came with a volcano heatsink (this was about a year ago), and since he wasn't used to having to deal with grease because in the past his CPU's came with an AMD heatsink that had pads on it he figured he'd just put it there, well, it booted ONCE... it died after that, then he calls me and tells me "there's something wrong with the new CPU, i think it's defective" well, sure enough my suspicions were correct, as soon as i uncovered the heatsink i saw that it had no thermal grease on it, he got lucky enough that he could exchange that CPU for a new one, next one i installed for him and worked like a champ, you NEED thermal grease ok? =P you really shouln't diss the CPU for not going that high with such crappy cooling man, hell, i'm surprised the CPU lived after an overclock =P anyway, i recomend you run your CPU at LOWER spec than it should run by default until you put some grease on it
Welcome to the forums. You've got some good information in that post but you should break it up a little better with periods and paragraphs so it's easier for people to read. Just a tip. :)

GravY

Depends on stepping, I am running stable 11.5x210 2415mhz with my 2400+ at 1.85v AIUHB 0301.. Idle in the 30's Load upper 30's to lower 40's.. I can boot into windows at 2.5ghz at 1.9v but it's alittle on the unstable side and I don't want to juice it up anymore till im about to upgrade again..