• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting crazy With Helium

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
nihili said:

ol' man,

I didn't mean to imply that you were confused, only that what you had written got things a bit jumbled up.

For example, you said "It gets so cold in the shadow that A few seconds in it and you are done I guess. " That implies that the problem is that it's cold in the shadow. But the coldness of space is actually no problem at all because space has no thermal mass. That was the point of my dry ice example. Space has a temperature near absolute zero. Normally we think that if something is cold, we will get cold by being in it. But this doesn't work in space. Discounting issues of pressure, if you could stop the radiation from your body, you could stay warm nearly indefinitely in space, even in the shadow of the moon. This is because space has no thermal mass.

Btw, the definition of heat that you quote is also a bit off. Heat is not the *transfer* of kinetic energy. Again this may seem like a minor error, but in the context of a discussion of thermodynamics in a vacuum, it's an important one.

nihili

Well nihili that was not my definition but this place.

http://whatis.techtarget.com/defini...i771825,00.html

I guess they are wrong too. That is okay it is the story of my life;)

The processors being run at those really cold temps are designed specifically for it. The ones that are available commercially aren't...and will die at a temp like that.

I don't know how they are...probably fabed in super cold conditions and then kept there.

Thelemac said:
The processors being run at those really cold temps are designed specifically for it. The ones that are available commercially aren't...and will die at a temp like that.

I don't know how they are...probably fabed in super cold conditions and then kept there.

Well then the old thought that many have then that chips can't run at super kryo temps is null and void at this time. Sounds like the future cpu processing is cooling now.

ol' man said:

Well then the old thought that many have then that chips can't run at super kryo temps is null and void at this time. Sounds like the future cpu processing is cooling now.

I am completely confused by this. Maybe I'm just too tired. :)

I'll have to read it again when I'm awake. :D

Thelemac said:

It was right before I went to bed and all that searching made me tired:D

I meant to say.....

Well then the old thought that many have then that chips can't run at super kryo temps is null and void at this time. Sounds like the future of cpu processing is kryo cooling now.

:D

Thelemac said:

Yep...I was tired. Makes sense now. :)

That only applies to those CPUs made specifically to be supercooled, as I'm sure it costs a bit more money to have it done. So for the readily available commercial CPUs, it still isn't really a viable option...well, not if they want them to last for a decent amount of time, at least.

Thelemac said:

Yep...I was tired. Makes sense now. :)

That only applies to those CPUs made specifically to be supercooled, as I'm sure it costs a bit more money to have it done. So for the readily available commercial CPUs, it still isn't really a viable option...well, not if they want them to last for a decent amount of time, at least.

I know you state this but do you have any links showing what cryo temps do to a chip. It would be interesting to know why with some facts. The only thing I have heard about running super cold temps is that it pretty much makes the transistors that have slight irregularities not work as well and the ones that are very good work much better. In the end when you get your chip running at room temp they say then you should be able to achieve higher clock rates when the burnin is done like this at the lowest temps you can do. I believe that is why all those crazy japanese and I have done the burnin' at super low temps

Does the CPU have to be running for a cryo burn-in? If not, it'd be pretty easy to stick it in a thermos of N2 (l) for a a couple of hours. Any opinions?

I don't remember where I saw them, but I'll look into it.

Basically what happens is that silicon starts contracting as the temp gets coldler, which is fine to a point. When it reaches
~-50C then it starts to pull apart, because it is also anchored to the silicon.

I'll look for some links on this a bit later..I'm a bit busy right now.

IdeaMagnate said:
Does the CPU have to be running for a cryo burn-in? If not, it'd be pretty easy to stick it in a thermos of N2 (l) for a a couple of hours. Any opinions?

Yes for the cryo burnin your chip has to be running.

The formula is

lowest temp it can get too

+

highest vcore it can get to

+

lowest speed the chip can run at

The link said the colder you can get it for this the better. I know my abit let me run my 100fsb chip at 50fsb.

Back