• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting Expert Board...What PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

evancold

Hey guys I am finally making the step up to the DFI SLI-DR Expert board. So my question is what PSU should I get for this board? Looking for something less than $200. Just want to find the best bang for the buck on the PSU. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Eldonko

Revolutionary Mule
OCZ powerstream 520. Get the new revision with the SLI hookup. It has the 8 pin recommended for the board and is cheap.

Revivalist

evancold said:
Hey guys I am finally making the step up to the DFI SLI-DR Expert board. So my question is what PSU should I get for this board? Looking for something less than $200. Just want to find the best bang for the buck on the PSU. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
I have an Expert on the way also and I was wondering the same thing. Does anyone know of one with all of the following traits . . .

24-pin motherboard connector
8-pin CPU power connector
Good quality (high amps on rails, good cooling, etc.)
Sleeved cables

I like the OCZ PowerStream 520W suggested above for only $140 but the cables aren't very attractive.

I did find this place where they'll sleeve the cables but it's $190 for the same power supply!

OkydOky

Revivalist said:

I like the OCZ PowerStream 520W suggested above for only $140 but the cables aren't very attractive.

I did find this place where they'll sleeve the cables but it's $190 for the same power supply!

Re-sleeve or sleeve over them.. yourself?

And Yes, I also recommend the OCZ powerstream 520.

OP
evancold

evancold

Is it just me? I do not see the 8 pin on the OCZ PSU, can someone please confirm if it has this please?

edit***Would it be the 2 blue 4 pin connectors? Looks like they go together I think. ???

Last edited:

Eldonko

Revolutionary Mule
evancold said:
Is it just me? I do not see the 8 pin on the OCZ PSU, can someone please confirm if it has this please?

edit***Would it be the 2 blue 4 pin connectors? Looks like they go together I think. ???
Yeah the two 4 pins make an 8 pin.

If you want a little prettier mod PS the Silverstone Strider ST60F is a good one too.

Revivalist

Ok, the 520W OCZ Powerstream seems like the best bang for the buck, and it doesn't look to bad either.

I was looking over this documentation for the OCZ Powerstream and I see that the +3.3V, +5.5V, and +12V rails can be overvolted to the following values:

+3.3V: Up to 3.8V
+5.5V: Up to 5.5V
+12V: Up to 13.2V

I was just wondering what benefits one could expect from overvolting these lines? Also what risks are there? Specifically, I was wondering

1. Will running 3.8V help to keep the voltage on RAM more stable?
2. Will running 5.5V on the 5V line help give a more stable overvolt on the CPU?
3. What components can run at 13.2V and how can this help or harm them? (Specifically, will my mcp655 water pump run faster? WIll my UV lights shine brighter? Will my Panaflo fans run faster? etc.)

Thanks for any help. :)

Kil4Thril

Also consider the Enermax Liberty series. I have a 620W on the way, and I think there's a 500 or 550. It's probably the best modular supply on the market- if that matters to you. It's supposed to also be as quiet/quieter than the Seasonics. Since I'm building a new "server" (Ok, I just wanted some new **** to play with- don't tell my ol' lady ;) ) my OCZ will go in it. The OCZ is a fine PSU, but mine doesn't have the native SLi plugs, and I got a great deal on the Liberty.