• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

getting on-line

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ToiletDuck

well i decided to use Lycoris for my first linux. I must say I am very impressed with it's GUI ease of use. I am going to like learning on it. However I cannot get it on-line. are there some easy command that I can do in the consule to activate it? Also is there a way for me to uninstall programs? there is an install software. but how about an uninstall. I would like to get rid of all the junk that I don't use from the calendar on up.
Duck

Titan386

Give us some info on your setup. What kind of internet access, do you have via a LAN, etc.

Uninstalling programs vaires depending on how the program was orginally installed. If its in RPM format, then do a rpm -e packagename and that should kill it. Programs compiled from source are a bit more difficult to unistall. Generally you have to go into the source directory and do a make uninstall. If anyone knows of a better way, I'm open to suggestions.

pcgirl

If your 'net connection is broadband and you have a dynamic IP, it should be very easy. All I did on my Linux box was configure it (during setup) to automatically assign an IP address using DHCP. I literally installed it, brought up KDE, and clicked on my web browser and it worked.

OP
T

ToiletDuck

that's good to here. I took tycoris and trashed it. I thought it looked nice but didn't seem like much of a learning distro. Kind of a, it's on. it's like windows. don't bother learning linux. Since then I have installed Gentoo linux, love it, but still can't get on-line. I'm on a cable modem. I Just went and re compiled the kernel with the options selected for my ethernet card and still nothing. I'm hoping the gentoo forums will help me out.

David

Forums Super Moderator
ToiletDuck said:
that's good to here. I took tycoris and trashed it. I thought it looked nice but didn't seem like much of a learning distro. Kind of a, it's on. it's like windows. don't bother learning linux. Since then I have installed Gentoo linux, love it, but still can't get on-line. I'm on a cable modem. I Just went and re compiled the kernel with the options selected for my ethernet card and still nothing. I'm hoping the gentoo forums will help me out.

1) install necessary kernel module. Eg for mine it is:
modprobe tulip

2) Do ifconfig eth0 up

3) Then do dhcpcd eth0 or dhclient eth0 depending which is installed.

David

OP
T

ToiletDuck

Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet.

and to do this. To load the kernel module do I need to insert the install disk and try it from there or can i just go in and install it? Also is there maybe some way that I might have to tell gentoo to use this card and not another card?

David

Forums Super Moderator
ToiletDuck said:
Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet.

and to do this. To load the kernel module do I need to insert the install disk and try it from there or can i just go in and install it? Also is there maybe some way that I might have to tell gentoo to use this card and not another card?

AFAIK modprobe 8139too should work. I have a card with that chipset.

Or is it rt8139too?

David

XWRed1

If you're running Gentoo, you've already compiled you kernel from scratch. Do it again, check to see if you've enabled support for your card. Easier yet, don't compile that support as a module.

OP
T

ToiletDuck

yea i did that. I recompiled the kernel with the card selected and no whammy. I don't get it.