• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting ready to build a multi media computer, need some tips on parts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vishera

So we're gonna shut our cable off and get an HTPC for the living room, and I already have an i5-2500 and some RAM, I just need advice on what case, power supply, and graphics card I should get. Figure you guys have had more experience than me in this so you'd know what the best case for space and cable management would be, etc.

Last edited:
So, you want advice on parts or a case only? Title says one thing, text another...and we are in general hardware...

While you wait, people have built these here before.. look around this section for htpc builds and see what was suggested there. :)

I dont do cases...

As far as gpu, what is this htpc going to do? Put an image on the screen only? Use onboard. Play some games a gtx 1050ti or rx470? Intensive games maybe a gtx 1060/1070? Need to know the scope bud.. this will then tell you what psu you will need.

Is onboard Sandy Bridge good enough for 1080p streaming? I was thinking of getting an RX 460 so my sister can play her flash games she likes playing. We're gonna be using this for Netflix and playing movies primarily though, that's about it. Might become the family computer for everyone else in the house.

Check out the NVIDIA Shield TV. It will be less cost than a GPU, PSU, and case.

I run 2 of them in my house. Passes the "wife test".

Intel sandy bridge IGP works just fine with 1080p multi media.

It has
Clear Video HD Technology, like its predecessor, Intel® Clear Video Technology, is a suite of image decode and processing technologies built into the integrated processor graphics that improve video playback, delivering cleaner, sharper images, more natural, accurate, and vivid colors, and a clear and stable video picture. Intel® Clear Video HD Technology adds video quality enhancements for richer color and more realistic skin tones.

I'm unsure if I should go ITX or mATX. Is 1155 ITX still expensive?

Back