• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting rid of extra wires...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

footbag

Registered
Been working on my first build, and am getting down to the nitty gritty. I hooked up my 5870 to my Corsair power supply, and there are two extra connectors on the same dongle as the PCI-e connectors. Can I just cut them off and use electrical tape to clean up the wires? Would I have to attatch or leave them separate?

I have the same question about my audio connection from the case. I use the HD audio, but the cable has an Audio'97 connection and a bunch of individual wires. Can I just clip any of them?

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
For the case wires, since you're not going to be using them, is there noway to hide them out of sight other than clipping them? Clipping them would be the last resort.

Now for the power supply; I wouldn't clip those at all. You clip those wires and your warranty will go out the window. Not to mention black tape doesn't hold well in a case that has warm air floating around. The tape will unravel and when you least expect it the bare wires will cause a short and fry something possibly everything.

OP
footbag

footbag

Registered
For the case wires, since you're not going to be using them, is there noway to hide them out of sight other than clipping them? Clipping them would be the last resort.

Now for the power supply; I wouldn't clip those at all. You clip those wires and your warranty will go out the window. Not to mention black tape doesn't hold well in a case that has warm air floating around. The tape will unravel and when you least expect it the bare wires will cause a short and fry something possibly everything.

Thanks, I can re-sheath the tips of the case wires to hide the extra plugs.

As for the power supply, those damn plugs are so annoying, but I hadn't even considered the warranty. I'll have to leave them there. Maybe I can get creative.

RollingThunder

Destroyer of Trolls & Spammers

+1.

Footbag, use a wire tie and attach it alongside the cable that you're using. No case or power supply is going to present a perfect cable management system but cutting off conectors is a big "No, no." You can also wire-tie your Audio 97 line. I know these can be a pain to hide or tuck away. Sometimes you can disconnect it at it's source on your case.

OP
footbag

footbag

Registered
You could also fold the extra connector back onto its cable, then slip a piece of large diameter heat shrink tubing over it and shrink it, effectively hiding the extra connector in plain sight.

Yup. That's the plan.