• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting started

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

plbowler

I'll be getting an AMD XP 1600 soon to replace my (don't laugh) Celeron 366. I'm looking at this MoBo.
but I'm not set on anything
ECS K7S5A SiS® 735 SOCKET A MOTHERBOARD

What do you guys think.

It has DIMMs for PC133 RAM and DDR. I have 384 MEGS of PC133 ram that I just can't waste. I was thinking of using the PC133 for now and upgrading to DDR AFTER I get a Killer Video Card. (Radeon 8900?).

does this Board Overclock?

also, any suggestions on Power supply.

AMD Athalon XP 1600
384MEG PC133 RAM
52x CD rom
Sony 32x CDRW
On Board Sound (For now)
PCI TNT Riva M64 32Meg viseo card (OC'd to 140Mhz) (for now).
Crap Toshiba Monitor

i'd like to overclock a bit too, which this board doesn't seem to like.

Any suggestions?

eli

Well, the board does support both ddr and sdram, so you could use sdram for awhile.

The board is pretty stable, but doesn't overclock too well without the bios crack.

Radeon 8900 doesn't exist. :)

Get a good PSU (350watt, sparkle from newegg), and if I were you and had the money, I would get a better MOBO and DDR. But if it can't be had, then the board you chose should do fine.

The Coolest

This isn't the board I'd get for a new system! this board only lets you up the FSB with a hacked BIOS. I don't remember seeing these boards hit high FSBs due to 0 multiplier control, also putting XP1600 in that mobo will not be any good, cause recent XP1600's are awesome OCers and without multiplier and SDRAM memory you won't hit anywhere close to the chip's abilities, and even when you get DDR, still a lack of the 1/5 PCI dividor might limit your overclock.

I suggest you try and sell your RAM and get either a refurbished (on www.NewEgg.com for example)ASUS A7V333 or a EPoX 8k3a+ mobo, these two are GREAT motherboards and I don't think they will go for much higher than $80 (can't be 100% sure tho)

OP
P

plbowler

thanks folks. dropping an extra $30.00 is something I'll be glad I did when I'm done, it's just hard at the outset. I would really like to keep my SDram anyone know of any DECENT MoBo's that support both?

Getting new DDram is kind of a deal breaker

Serraph

If you really can't afford to get the ddr, then it would probably be better to just save your money and buy the stuff when you can. The pc133 will severely limit your system. If you don't plan on playing games, then you can keep the pc133; however, if you do plan to play games then even with a good cpu, mobo, and video card you won't get very good performance so there would be no point in upgrading at all.