• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting started

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Giz

Hi. I'm a first time folder. I've read most of the stickies and posts and some of it goes over my head! I get the basics though. I'm using the rig in my sig and could do with a few pointers to get the best from it.

I just bought a 4890 and thought it would do well. I didn't know they get owned by nvidia cards for folding!

So what's the best client for my rig. I'm using the GPU one at moment (Windows GPU Console Edition [email protected] Client Version 6.23) and getting about 3200 ppd's. Would I do better with a CPU client with my quad Phenom instead? Or is the 4890 better for folding than the quad CPU.

Also, can you choose which WU to do, for higher points? Or are they always automatically assigned when your last WU finishes?
Lastly, I'm not using a passkey. Is this OK, or should i be using one?

Thanks!

Jolly-Swagman

A VMWare Player 3.0 with 4 core Virtual machine running Ubuntu 9.10 VM Linux SMP ver 6.24 will net you about 5,600PPD

Thought you would maybe get bit more than 3200 PPD from your GPU but I,m not Using ATI GPU,s

No you dont need to use passkey thats optional,
and also you dont get a choice of what WU you get there sent by Stanford Servers each time you complete one they always automatically assigned when your last WU finishes

AmbientFiction

Senior Folding Zombie
Somewhere in the top 100 folders for team 32
Hi. I'm a first time folder. I've read most of the stickies and posts and some of it goes over my head! I get the basics though. I'm using the rig in my sig and could do with a few pointers to get the best from it.

I just bought a 4890 and thought it would do well. I didn't know they get owned by nvidia cards for folding!

So what's the best client for my rig. I'm using the GPU one at moment (Windows GPU Console Edition [email protected] Client Version 6.23) and getting about 3200 ppd's. Would I do better with a CPU client with my quad Phenom instead? Or is the 4890 better for folding than the quad CPU.

Also, can you choose which WU to do, for higher points? Or are they always automatically assigned when your last WU finishes?
Lastly, I'm not using a passkey. Is this OK, or should i be using one?

Thanks!

Well with the fact that sometime soon hopefully there will be a new SMP and GPU client coming out. The new GPU client will hopefully level the playing field with the ATI vs Nvidia ppd issue.

You're using a quad so I'd go with the SMP+GPU client. Just make sure you have a password for your logon account. If it has anything other than letters and number then it will give you an error message. Now when you do this follow the guides here for installing the client. Once you get them both setup you need to enter in some environment variables for that ATI card.
Code:
FLUSH_INTERVAL = 128-256 for a 48x0, 64-96 for a 38x0 (the optimum setting so that the GPU remains at 100% regardless of the WU, without causing too much lag should be within these ranges).
BROOK_YIELD = 2 (to stop utilising 100% of the CPU and therefore allow an additional CPU client to be started)
CAL_PRE_FLUSH = 1
CAL_NO_FLUSH = 1 (but should be reverted to 0 if it causes too many VPU Recovers).
and this for you SMP client
Code:
MPICH_NO_LOCAL=1

Adak

:welcome: Giz!

You're welcome to choose the folding client (program), that you like (as mentioned SMP + GPU would be best for your rig). However, once you settle on a [email protected] (FAH) client, Stanford takes a very dim view of you choosing to fold (or not fold), certain Work Units (WU's).

Because they ALL need to be folded, and they're all time-sensitive (some much more than others though).

And did I say
Welcome Giz!

already? :D

P.S. That's a beautiful pic in your name badge. Is that your sig rig?

ChasR

The MPICH_NO_LOCAL=1 variable does nothing on a quad. It will speed up dual core folding on FahCore_a2 WUs (Linux only) by 10 to 15%.

THe VMware/Linux SMP soultion will make almost 2x the ppd of the Win SMP client. That will likely change in the next several month with the introduction of the SMP2 client.

OP
Giz

Giz

Thanks for the replies!

Jolly-Swagman
A VMWare Player 3.0 with 4 core Virtual machine running Ubuntu 9.10 VM Linux SMP ver 6.24 will net you about 5,600PPD
Yep, I read about the Virtual machine and Linux giving good results. I'll look at that in the near future, keeping it simple for now.

Thought you would maybe get bit more than 3200 PPD from your GPU but I,m not Using ATI GPU,s
It goes up and down. Currently 2560 :( It's doing a 511 credit point WU in about 4 hours.

Jolly-Swagman, Adak
and also you dont get a choice of what WU you get there sent by Stanford Servers each time you complete one they always automatically assigned when your last WU finishes......

once you settle on a [email protected] (FAH) client, Stanford takes a very dim view of you choosing to fold (or not fold), certain Work Units (WU's)
So you get what you're given. No problem.

AmbientFiction
You're using a quad so I'd go with the SMP+GPU client.
I've been looking here for the SMP+GPU client and can't seem to see it. Got a link? I'm using the Windows V6 GPU2 ATI download at the moment.

Adak
P.S. That's a beautiful pic in your name badge. Is that your sig rig?
Thanks for the welcome Adak! Yes it's my sig rig, and runs on radioactive waste ;)

ChasR, AmbientFiction
The MPICH_NO_LOCAL=1 variable does nothing on a quad....

Once you get them both setup you need to enter in some environment variables for that ATI card
Where do I need to enter the code. Install folder CFG. file?

Last edited:

]-[itman

Another welcome to ya Giz! I don't mean to thread jack but I had a question that maybe you might be interested in as well. Being somewhat new to re-entering the folding scene myself I wanted to ask about the a2 wu's chasr mentioned. I did some searching into them and from what I read it seemed that they were meant for quad core+ configurations only, is this not the case and to get one I have to run linux, right? Also, what are the bonus a2 wu's I hear about?

OP
Giz

Giz

No problem ]-[itman!

Something I should have asked earlier..

- I swapped out my Asus 8800GT 512mb card for the ATI 4890. Would I get better folding on the 8800?

-I just downloaded the latest 9.12 Catalyst drivers. Do the newest drivers work best folding with ATI, or older ones?

-Lastly (for now!) what's WTF! short for here. Obviously not the usuall meaning! F = Folding...

]-[itman

Well, I can answer those for you.

1)8800Gt should fold better than the ATI card, many are looking forward to the GPU3 client to make more effective use of ATI cards.

2)As far as I have seen the 9.12 drivers work just as well as any other drivers and I believe you need to have 9.9 drivers or later to run a cpu/gpu tandem folding box.

3)Way to Fold!

Jolly-Swagman

Another welcome to ya Giz! I don't mean to thread jack but I had a question that maybe you might be interested in as well. Being somewhat new to re-entering the folding scene myself I wanted to ask about the a2 wu's chasr mentioned. I did some searching into them and from what I read it seemed that they were meant for quad core+ configurations only, is this not the case and to get one I have to run linux, right? Also, what are the bonus a2 wu's I hear about?

Some of the bonus WU,s have a higher Points value EG P5102 give 3340pts

Then you also have the BibAdv WU,s you get when running i7 Quad core + HT (8cores)
and can earn bonus pts of 53,000 /WU

ChasR

Sorry Jolly, but p5102 is an a1 core WU, and far from being a bonus WU, it is the lowest producing SMP WU there is.

The only a2 bonus WUs are -bigadv WUs worth 25,403 points, take 2 days to fold on a fast i7, and require a minimum of 8 cpu cores (physical or logical), as Jolly says. They have an exponential bonus for fast completion. THe most ppd I've seen is 80,000 ppd from a multi cpu socket machine.

a2 core WUs run on dual core machines. Almost everyone running VMs was doing it on 2 cores until Player 3.0 came out giving official 4 core support and unofficial 8 core support.

Environment variables are entered in control panel, system, advanced, environment variables.

OP
Giz

Giz

Now I'm cooking with gas!

Thanks to everyone's help here with advice, getting me up and folding. I found the above stickies and Porvalsh's YouTube tut very helpful.

Now running my sig rig for folding - 24/7, less 2Gb of ram installed in my second folding rig. Also running 24/7.

Specs for second rig:

Phenom 9850 x4 @ 2.8ghz + Arctic cooling Freezer Pro 64 HSF
Gigabyte M85M-Us2H
2GB Kingston HyperX 1066 (robbed from sig rig)
Asus 8800gt 512mb + Zalman VF1000 HSF
Nameless brand 550w PSU

Both rigs running Vista. 1x32 bit, 1x64 bit.
Both have VMplayer installed with Linux Ubuntu running SMP client.
Both have GPU2 clients installed in Windows.

Plans for the future? Get some more ram!

Thanks again everyone for the friendly forum here, and good advice :thup: :salute: