• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting very high fsb with an NF7-S

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

squads

i need some help and i cant seem to find what i'm looking for in the stickies. right now my system is at 9.5 x 227 (details in sig). i know the memory can go higher b/c its rock solid at 227 and the processor is definitely not maxed at 2160mhz. i cant put the fsb above 227 though and the only thing that could be stopping me is the motherboard i think. chipset voltage is maxed at 1.7, anyone have any suggestions for how to get some more fsb?

I'm new at this, but would upping the Vcore help a bit?

I'm running the same board, Barton 2600+, and an old 512MB stick of Crucial PC2100... I was playing around, and got the FSB to 235 stable, 241 fails memtest after 3-4 hours. But I had to raise the Vcore to 1.8V and Vdimm to 2.9V.

That could help. A couple other things you could try are the L12 mod (check the sticky) or the VDD mod. You might need a little boost in chipset voltage, although I don't really recommend doing the VDD mod as the nForce2 Ultra400 isn't really built for a lot of voltage. I'd try the L12 mod first.

You really dont need to up the FSB much more... Just boost your multi up, to say 10.5 or 11, you will get better preformence with that (even if you have to drop the FSB a few points) than another FSB or 2.

k but i cant really up the mhz over 2200 till i get better cooling, so i was just tryna get the highest fsb i could for the time being

The L12 mod I believe is only for 266fsb default chips to make them into 333fsb default. His Barton 2500+ is already a 333fsb chip, so it wouldn't do anything for him. I have heard things about some other mod that makes it a 400fsb default, but doesn't add anything to fsb walls, since the boards really only seem to increase their fsb capabilities drastically when going from 266->333fsb default chips.

Other than that what everyone has mentioned already (particularly vdd mod), the only thing you may want to try is lowering your vdd voltage. It sounds counter-intuitive, but there were a few cases at the EO forums I believe where at higher fsbs, (230's...), a vdd of 1.4 or 1.5 was more stable than 1.6 or 1.7. It's not the case with my board, but there were enough cases of it that it's a possibility. Couldn't hurt to try.... Other than that, you've probably just hit your fsb wall, and without some volt mods, there's no easy way to get more fsb.

As 9mm said though, I'd definitely work on getting that cpu mhz higher (ie. spend your money/time getting better cpu cooling :p). Mem bandwidth is nice and all, but one might even say it's a *little* overrated. A higher cpu speed will give a far more noticeable and meaningful performance increase than a little higher fsb/mem bandwidth.

dang i'm cheap. didnt want to spend more money but i figured i'd need better cooling eventually. btw what are you using to cool your barton?

ok n/m its right in your sig

Since you're already at the max 2.9VDimm allowed by an un-modded mobo, one thing you can do to get to a higher FSB speed is to relax your RAM settings.

I'm currently @ 244 x 9.5x dual channel right now and running Prime95 as I type.

Last edited:
Back