• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GF2Ti problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Project86

I just picked up an Inno3d GF2 Ti, and I'm having problems... I get the same results as my old TNT2 used to do, which is I just freeze. I'll usually be minimizing a screen or something, and it just freezes. CTRL-ALT-DEL does nothing. When this happened last time, I took an old heatsink off my savage4 card and stuck it onto the TNT2 heatsink, NEVER happened again. This Geforce has the fan built in, but doesn't really have a large heatsink behind it. Any problems with this anyone else?

I've got the newest detonator drivers, win98se, gf2ti, PII450, 192 pc100, 40gigHD, I don't know what the problem is. Very annoying. Also, no overclocking or anything, on the cpu or video. It is very hot to the touch though.

Help!

If the heatink is held on by the pins that go through the board, I'd pull it off, and make sure there is a good amount of thermal paste between it and the GPU.
With my GF2Ti, I never had good luck with the 40 series Detonators, it'd never be able to run all of the tests on 3D Mark without throwing me back to the desktop. I had to stick with the 30.82.
Is the BIOS set to AGP 4X?

About the AGP... My mobo is a crappy PCchips M726, it supposedly only has AGP1X. But my TNT2 card (which is 4X/2X) runs fine. I don't have an option in bios to set AGP type, just wether it's AGP or PCI for the main graphics card. I could see how this would be a problem, if it hadn't booted right up the first time, and allowed me to play CS, DoD, and RtCW for several hours. I'm not sure what the problem is, but now it won't even start up windows with the Ti installed, I have to run my TNT2 again.

Help!!!

Sorry to say, but it sounds like a dead card to me. It also sounds like an open and shut case for an RMA. Hopefully they'll get you a better one the second time around.

yeah, sounds like a faulty card to me. you might wanna considering upgrading that mobo, as well. what kinda chip you running, anyhow? k6? k7?

better yet, RMA three or four cards. that'll add at LEAST 20 points to your 3dmark score :D

I don't get the RMA joke, sorry...

Yes I have a new mobo sitting here, and I'll soon be getting an XP1700+ in the mail, followed by a stick of 256 Corsair PC133, and I still need to find a nice case and PSU for it to go into. But for now, I need to be sure this card works, or else try to return it. The problem is, I got it off ebay (for $35 can't go wrong... unless it's broken that is) So We'll see what the guy says. He has spotless feedback, and said it is working, only used for 6 months. I'm just weary because when it comes time for me to put the whole new system together, I don't want a faulty card frustrating me, there's enough other potential things that I could screw up anyways.

Lets just assume that my system ONLY supports AGP 1X, should the card work or no? I don't see any adjustments that I can physically make on the card...

That card is AGP 2.0 compliant. Take a look here http://www.motherboards.org/articlesd/tech-planations/920_2.html
you see that AGP 2.0 includes 1X. The card is supposed to be backwards compatible with 1X, and it should have continued to work. AGP 1x and 2x would run the card at 3.3 volts, which might make it run hotter than if it were run at 4X, which is 1.5 volts. So if the heatsink isn't making proper contact, or it doesn't have enough thermal grease, that might push it over the edge.

That sounds about right... I also discovered that I seem to be getting some funk from the recently installed newest version of directX8.1 So I'll need to root through that problem as well. Thanks for the help, it has been great!

Coming soon:
MSI K7t-turbo
Athlon XP1700+
256mb Crucial PC133
Geforce2 Ti
Skyhawk all aluminum case w/sparkle 400watt psu

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
"If you can amputate my heart/ Then I will learn to smile and then/ You can replace me with yourself/ And I'll become the model citizen/ And I will tell them all/ that I had this breakthrough surgery/ They give you a pill/ Then remove your heart/ And replace it with a battery"

Project

Back