• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GF4 4600TI or ATI Radeon 9700?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

richklein

Hi all,

If money is not an issue (yah right), & you wanted to get the best card you could get, would it be the ATI or Nvidia chipset?

I am a big Nvidia fan but I would switch if one is better than the other.

I am not thinking of the long term, but the short term, meaning, as of TODAY & games that are out TODAY, which is a better performing card?

DirectX 9 compatibility is not a huge issue for me since there is nothing I play that uses it at the moment.

Basically my vid card died & I need to replace it in the next day or two.

Thanks,
Rich

OP
R

richklein

Cool deal! I realized it was probably faster but I had heard wierd things about the benchmarks after the fact. (last time i read they were inflated).

Deathknight

Benchmarks are not inflated p9700 hands down is way faster.

When you start cranking up the resolutions and features (fsaa anisotropic filtering etc) the 4600 will fall off the map and the 9700 will keep going strong. To take full advantage of this card you really need to run in these modes. The quality of the picture is also fantastic ;)

leathersmt

I just have this 9700 128mb card on the way, I am anxious to have it in the puter, and trying it.
I was able to tweak the geforce 4. Is the 9700 tweable, or after seeing this, will I need too?

OC Noob

You won't need to, but tis always fun:)

Use powerstrip. The card overclocks well, but I'm not a big fan of stock cooling on it. Maybe slap a cooljag 1u on it.

Good luck.