• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GF4 problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Applepie

hihi
Just switched to watercooling and all temps look fine but the GF4, Ti-4800 SE with a Maze4 on it is acting a bit weird. Seems fine for a while then Q3 stops working, other games that run Open GL works fine. If I at this point reboot the bios screen is all stretched and the first screen that displays just the video card info is scrambled. First I thought it was a memory heat thing because they where insanely hot but after putting a fan there I got the memory temps down to normal but the problem persists. As I said, outstretched boot screens and q3 all scrambeled up are the only symptoms I've found so far. Anyone know whats going on?

OP
A

Applepie

whooo it seems to just have been too easy for me to even think about it...
Anyway, I checked to see if the contact between the Maze4 and the GPU was good thinking it just had to be, I mean, I had no real noticabal performance drop in 3dmark2001 so I was pretty sure it was not a heat issue. Sure enough though as I removed the block I saw that contact was only made between block and the corners of the core. Im thinking its some sort of anti crush thing with the GF4 core. So I have added some more arctic silver and I am now running 3dmark2001 to load the gpu and then test to see if this has helped. I do recall that I though there was a stupidly thick layer of thermal compound on the retail heatsink&fan fthing that was on it. Anyway, I'll post my results soon.

OP
A

Applepie

Yep, everything appears to be working fine now. Atleast I've learned one thing: GF4 gpu's can run pretty good with quite bad cooling. =P
When looking closer, I did gain about 150 pointa in 3dmark2001 whit the proper cooling without OCing.

stratcatprowlin

Great! yeah I had a 4200 that ran like it was on fire all the time.I could never get the GPU totally flush with the cooler.It still ran good but it wouldnt overclock.

OP
A

Applepie

hmm.... looks like I spoke too soon..... Im now sure that I got as gooa a mount as possible but Im still getting the same problem....
Acctually, after playing around with some stuff Im starting to think that even though the bad contact set my back a couple of hundred points in 3dmark the big problem might be with the monitor it self... gonna try with another one 2morrow and we'll see what happens.