• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gforce 2 400 64mb and RIVA TUNER

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RicardoBuchner

How to use this Riva Tuner? Is it safe? Im afraid of burn something...
Anyway... how to increase my vid card performance at no risk without spending any money? Is overclocking safe?
Thx!:D

evil_lbt

Registered
yes it is
increase 5mhz frequency for both, core and memory frequencey and test it see if its stable
but you might not be able to go too high for the memory, you will need extra cooling
anything its possible if you attempt to overclock something, so be careful, you just need a lot of cooling for the card
does it have heatsinks on the card??
for my geforce 2 ultra it does...i don't know about yours

OP
R

RicardoBuchner

evil_lbt said:
yes it is
increase 5mhz frequency for both, core and memory frequencey and test it see if its stable
but you might not be able to go too high for the memory, you will need extra cooling
anything its possible if you attempt to overclock something, so be careful, you just need a lot of cooling for the card
does it have heatsinks on the card??
for my geforce 2 ultra it does...i don't know about yours

Thx for the help!
No, I dont have any fan on my card, just the regular heat dissipator (no fans).
I could notice in Riva TUner, at LOW LEVEL SYSTEM TWEAKS, 2 sliders (core and memory) which is highlighted the SAFE RANGE of overclocking (after a brief sys analisys from Riva Tuner)... Is the cooling system needed on this safe range?
In core: Can I go at the highest safe rate?
In Memory: As u said, I just can go 5mhz higher...
The sliders rates are from 100 to 300 mhz
My default numbers are:
Core clock: 199,7
Mem clock: 143,2

after Riva analisys, the highest safe rates are:
Core clock: 249
Mem clock: 180
Those numbers are inside the safe range i just mentioned (at top) . Can I go to those 2 rates without cooling system??
Can u advise me on which number should I enter??

OP
R

RicardoBuchner

one more thing...

If the fan is needed...
Is there room for it? All I can do is buy a fan and install on my card?
With the fan, Can I go to the highest core and memory overclocking rates??
Thx!!

TopCop

Hi Ricardo,
It sounds like we have the almost identical card. I've used Coolbits to o/c mine with success. Stock speeds shown for mine are 200/334, and thus far I have increased those to 220/380 with no problems at all. Been running those speeds for a few days now. If you double "your" memory clock speed you get 286, close to mine. I read somewhere that the memory speed is listed at double it's actual, but at this time forget the reason.
Regardless after much searching I found the usual range for o/cing this card is 220-260 for core, and 360-420 for the memory. At stock I was getting a 3D2001 mark of 1481, and with the card o/c'd 3420!...fully stable. Will increase the clock rates slowly, 5mhz for clock, 10 mhz for memory, at a time over the next few days to see how fast it will go and still be stable.
As for cooling, mine also only came with a heatsink, so I affixed an old Pentium 20 mm(?) fan to it via a drop of hotglue on each corner of the fan housing. It has held tight for several weeks, suggesting my temps are not too extreme.
Hope this helps as I was asking the same questions you were a week ago.

OP
R

RicardoBuchner

Hi!!
I just put that thermal paste on my mem chips, and sticked a old fan over the heatsink!
Now, im trying to OC thst thing...
Using 3Dmark2001, im running some teste to se if it works properly at higher rates. Seems that when I hit the 183 to memory (still low...) the High Polygon Count test (its a carroussel of flying dragons) starts showing me some problems (like big thorns)
Does it mean that I should stop raising my Mem and core levels? Already? My rate is 1790 now... to low....
What should I do??
Thx!!!

TopCop

Those thorns are artifacts, meaning your settings are too high. The core speed can't be increased all that much, so try backing it down and re-trying the test. What do you have the core/memory at now?
If a lower core speed is ok, leave that alone and try raising the memory speed ...remember, 5 mhz changes for core, 10 mhz changes for memory each time

OP
R

RicardoBuchner

I did already (retreat in core and memory...)
Now I have 220/180 (too low!) And my score at 3dmark is 1820 (bad!...)
Why cant I go higher? I saw the benchmarks of ppl w same mobo, cpu, etc going up to 3900...
I put a fan on top of heatsink and on memory chips I put that thermal thing and some heatsinks... I thought doing it, I would go higher, but didnt happen...
Do u have any suggestion?
Im also seeing some small with dot flicking on the screen...

Do u have any ste-by-step explanation for my driver's settings?

THX!!!

False Christian

1st, set your core and memory clocks to normal. Raise your memory by 5MHz increments until you start to see artifacting then lower by 5MHz. Now, raise your core by 5MHz until the screen freezes then lower by 5MHz. This will give you your maximum overclock. Good luck to you, Ricardo.:)