• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GfxCard crapping out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Funnylink

Registered
I don't know whats wrong with my graphics card but it is stalling even when i underclock it as far as I can.

I have a nVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8.
My case is kinda small but i used to be able to get it up to 250/512 but now 80/100 stalls it.

I even have opened up my case and turned on a 3 foot fan next to it. But it still stalls at 80/100 :bang head

Current Temps

Motherboard 33 °C (91 °F)
CPU 27 °C (81 °F)
Aux 27 °C (81 °F)

Edit: This is odd...there is no fan in the front of my computer. It all comes from the top and goes to the cpu and runs out the psu o_O

Last edited:

squirtle632

First off.... Welcome to the Forums

As far as your problems goes....... is the fan for the GPU making perfect contact with the GPU? See if one of the clips is off. Any air gap will cause the GPU to overheat. See if the fan, if so equipped, is running. They can go out without warning. If the fan has stopped, look into a replacement cooler for the GPU. Zalman make a good one.

Hope this helps.

OP
F

Funnylink

Registered
I cleaned some of the dust in my graphics card heatsink but it still doesn't work.

Anyways my heatsink is weird and has some sort of thing where you have to squeeze the pegs underneath the card to remove it

Yamiyanazz

That's nothing out of the ordinary. Most cards today are like that. Like squirtle said, try re-seating the GPU's heatsink and check the fan. Maybe even just unplug the graphics card and plug it back in.

And I'm looking at it...maybe you've underclocked too much for it to do it's job?

fafnir

have you tried using different drivers and/or chipset drivers?

and also have you tried a clean format of XP?

make sure its not software first

_

OP
F

Funnylink

Registered
I tried reseating my cpu heatsink because i thought it might be the problem but when I pulled off my heatsink the cpu came with it :-/. Now when I try to reseat it and think its seated perfectly i try to boot up my computer and nothing shows on my monitor (but my load leds blink a little) :temper:

Yamiyanazz

is teh monitor plugged in? Maybe you bumped the graphics card and you just need to try to plug that back in.

OP
F

Funnylink

Registered
Well i have tried 2 different graphics cards plugged in and the onboard graphics card. I dont hear a beep like a normally hear when it starts and it doesnt seem to be loading windows.

I dont know if there is any way to reset the bios? Does anyone know? And could I of damaged the motherboard or CPU?

OP
F

Funnylink

Registered
I dont hear any beeps at all and all the fans are working properly. I dont think i have a fan for the chipset of my motherboard.

VisEtVirtus

I think yami meant to try to reseat the GPU heatsink, not CPU. Look for the manual for you motherboard, it will tell you exactly how to reset the cmos for your motherboard. Did you take the heatsink off of the CPU? If you did you need to clean off the old thermal paste and apply some new thermal paste.

If you switch video cards, it will not work unless you start up your rig and install the drivers for the video card correctly. Were you using another video card before your Geforce4 ti 4200?

OP
F

Funnylink

Registered
Well i would have to like scrape off the cpu with a knife from the heatsink because its so attached :/

The Geforce 4200 was the first gfx card

VisEtVirtus

Yep, you could've very well damaged your CPU taking it off like that. Maybe you should've made sure how to go about removing the heatsink before actually doing it.