• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ghost shared folders??!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

moz_21

Wa11y said:
Having some problems with some shared folders and Windows XP. I recenly removed one hard drive, and replaced it with another, copying over the content exactly. I even used the Drive Management tool in XP to give them the same letter (E). Well, when my roommates look on the network, they see two folders on my E drive, but they can't access them. They're not currently shared, but were shared on the old hard drive at the time I replaced it. If I try and share them again on the new drive, it puts a #2 behind them. Any way to remove those old "ghost" shared folders without reinstalling Windows (I'd rather not do that again so soon)?

This is the best description i have found. I have done the same thing, only with 98SE. It shows shared files I no longer share. I cannot find how to fix it.

Robbie

probably has something to do with your network settings something about TRYING all connection when you log on?!?!?! hell it's been a while.
Rob

OP
moz_21

moz_21

**Update**
I found an actual microsoft article related to it ( http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;188194 )
the title is: Shared Folders Deleted in MS-DOS Window Appear in Net Watcher

anyhow, i installed net watcher and it listed my "shared" folders. I deleted them from there and all is good. hope this helps someone in a similar situation. thanks for the help, though.