• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gif maker/Avatar Maker

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

palee72

Can someone suggest a program that I can download that will let me create + edit Gif's and Avatrs?

Or is this a trade secret among the AV makers of the forum :D

Thanks in advance....

macklin01

Computational Oncologist / Biomathematician / Mode
Well, I use the simple freeware MS GIF animator. To use it, you'll want to make several frames (each a GIF file) and then piece them together with the gif animator. Some features I use:

1) can set transparency color in the animator
2) can set the length of time of each frame (which can help you cut down its size)
3) can set how many times it loops.

Hope this helps! -- Paul

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
I've used the M$ animator but it doesn't optimize the frames like newer software does. I made an avatar using 18 frames to keep it under 100kb. One of our avatar builders gave me 29 frames with the same file limits. It looked smoother and played a second longer. I think he used Ulead gif animator. Try the full version trial good for 15days.

macklin01

Do any of these allow easy creation of gif or mpeg animations from a series of jpeg or the like with an ordered naming scheme?
EG.,
PHI0_004.jpg
PHI0_005.jpg

Thanks -- Paul

UnWishedLegacy

I use "Babarosa"- transparency features, optimisation, and a V.easy user interface- free from www.liatro.com
The avatar you see now is just one thing I made with it.

It's worked for about 3 or 4 weeks- I dont know if there is a time limit to the trial period (which is what I use).

XprincoX

bargain hunter
macklin01 said:
Do any of these allow easy creation of gif or mpeg animations from a series of jpeg or the like with an ordered naming scheme?
EG.,
PHI0_004.jpg
PHI0_005.jpg

Thanks -- Paul

yup gif animator has the option to create gifs from video files and saves each image file in an order sequence. Or you can just select the images you want. :D

macklin01

Yeah, but I was hoping for soemthing more automated, since I might be making it from 100's of frames ... Thanks -- Paul

Scudrunr

Registered
this biohazard one was just made using microsoft gif animator, got it off of cnet.com. :)

[Edit] I just replaced this one with the current one you see now.

Last edited:

Spiked

Registered
um.... hey scdrunr..... you know you have grammar errors in your avatar right? I mean you are telling everyone to look at it because it is an example but you are just calling notice that you are very poor in grammar! (you life should be your life)

UnWishedLegacy

Moog- for every frame you need to "save a copy" and select .GIF format (if it is a long amination it will use may frames- I think mine used 12frames on a constant loop).

Once you save all your pics, you will need a Gif Animator (there a thread around here somewhere-Oh wait> THIS IS THE THREAD).

If you got PaintShopPro then there is a bilt in Gif Animator but for us with PhotoShop- we need to take the long way round.

{{edit}} I forgot what thread I was in :rolleyes: