• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte 980ti G1 can't support dual monitors??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pepi93

Well the 980 ti G1 came in and no bueno

No matter what I try I can't get both monitors to work. I can get one or the other but not both and the card does weird things like re-installs hd audio drivers upon reboot etc. I've tried clean installs of the Nvidia drivers etc...initially two monitors was ok and then all of a sudden it flopped.

I've tried all settings in windows and nvidia control panel

I use DP on my main screen, DVI-D or HDMI on my 2nd screen and nothing...

Popped my 970 back in and no issues...

Seems this is a fairly common issue and no workaround to it?

I'd love some help if anyone can offer before I return this card (I'd rather keep it if I can figure this out)

Thanks.

Lochekey

Senior Pink Member
Which ports on the card are you trying to use specifically. Try using the hdmi and the displayport directly next to the hdmi and see if that gets you anything.

OP
Pepi93

Pepi93

I didn't realize this matters...

I'll do some more testing.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
So, it worked... then flopped? Sounds like it was bueno, then no bueno, no??? If it couldn't do it, it would have NEVER done it Pepi. :)

HD Audio drivers? Did you install the audio drivers for the GPU in the NVIDIA driver package?

OP
Pepi93

Pepi93

Yeah I always do. I uncheck 3D and Experience but keep the rest. Should I not install the Hd audio drivers?

- - - Updated - - -

btw this seems to be the solution, I'll try this tomorrow as I took the card out for now.

"I suspect the auto detection of the different monitor connections is causing your card to switch BIOS'. It's ok, you just need to learn about them.

If not already aware you cannot select which BIOS, that's determined by your monitor connections automatically.

This shows which ports belong to each BIOS.

So here is what I do.. I always use the DP BIOS (does not stand for display port fyi).

My primary monitor is my Display port. I need to use the port furthest away from the HDMI port at the end.
My second display is HDMI, and there is only one HDMI port.

This combination of ports will always activate the DP BIOS. If I run ONLY the HDMI it will still be DP BIOS. If I run ONLY the display port is will still be the DP BIOS. This is the configuration you would want to use. If you cannot use HDMI and need to use DVI, you can see in the chart above that when the DP BIOS is active the DVI-D port is DEAD. It does nothing. You would have to use DVI-I."

I copied/pasted this from another post where I was getting help at.

900x900px-LL-48c4774c_DDANDDP.png

Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Only install what you need/will use... which I imagine is NOT the HDMI audio driver for the GPU.

OP
Pepi93

Pepi93

I followed the above instructions and it fixed the issue. :clap:

Time to OC this sucka!

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
That's very helpful, but in my opinion very weird that bios settings would have those limitations

OP
Pepi93

Pepi93

I believe it's for 2 reasons.

1) The card has dual bios and it switches between the two based on what configuration of cables and number of monitors you use
2) There are 3 DP ports, 1 HDMI, 1 DVI-I and 1 DVI-D

Since it has 3 DP ports, it matters which one you use in combination with other inputs.

I guess it's the arrangement in which they are soldered on the GPU.

I'm just guessing of course and know nothing of what I'm talking about :D

OP
Pepi93

Pepi93

I honestly haven't looked, it is indicated somewhat when you're updating bios but keep in mind, this is not strictly this card...it would affect any card with multiple same inputs and dual bios but many people run only one screen so they don't even notice...this issue affects any 970 and up from what I read

I'm not bothered by it anymore, the instructions on how to load DP vs DD bios are very clear once you find the info and I was trying to load a DP and DVI monitor using DP bios which turns off the DVI input on the gpu...hence why I had issues

My 970 has one input for each type and therefore didn't cause an issue.