• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1070 testing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jeff G

I wanted to do some testing to see what real-world gains I could get out of the GTX 1070 and what setting helped and which ones didn't.
The first couple screens are basic settings, ultimately they dont seem to effect real-world gaming by much. I'm still pushing to find my cards max, 1mhz at a time, and I'll update once I get it stable.

Test setup:
CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.7GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170 Gaming 7
Ram: 2x8gb Team Dark DDR4 @ 3000mhz
Monitor: 1440p @ 100hz
Bench test: Ashes of the Singularity built in benchmark on 'Crazy' setting. I chose this title as it seems to not be cpu bound at all and it had a built in benchmark so i could eliminate variables with in-game runs.

- - - Updated - - -

First test. Base line out-of-the-box settings.

Ashes - Stock 1070 Gaming Profile.png

- - - Updated - - -

Second Test. Switched from 'Gaming' setting to 'OC' setting. Appears to be just a bump of +26mhz to Core.

Ashes - Stock 1070 OC Profile.png

- - - Updated - - -

Third Test. Bumped the Power Limit and Temp Limit up as far as the Gigabyte tool would allow. Again, no difference.

Ashes - Stock 1070 OC Profile Power&Temp limits maxed.png

- - - Updated - - -

Fourth Test. Pushed the Voltage slider all the way up. Not only did this not seems to effect the testing, it doesn't really appear to have allowed much more voltage either (maybe .02v)

Ashes - Stock 1070 OC Profile Power&Temp&Volt limits maxed.png

- - - Updated - - -

All other settings the same as last time, but bumped up the memory. Stable at 9.4GHz right now. Only added a couple FPS.

Add 1400 memory.png

- - - Updated - - -

And +107MHz is as high as I can go on the slider without crashes in the Ashes benchmark. With everything, it gave me 4fps gain across the board from the out-of-the-box Gaming Settings.

Add 107 clock.png

Last edited:
OP
Jeff G

Jeff G

Merged all the photo's to one post. CPU doesn't seem to be anywhere near a bottleneck, and GPU memory doesn't either. Looks like volts are the limiting factor, not that anyone was surprised. Time to work on that.

DaveB

My Gigabyte 1070 arrived today, so I installed it and fired it up. Nice and quiet, very fast with no coil whine at all. Ran 3DMark and Furmark just to test it and it scored 18,908 for Firestrike graphic and 6129 in the 1080p Furmark Benchmark test. It only got to 65C in the Furmark test which is pretty good - my old R9 290 used to hit 90C plus in that test. Now maybe I'll use my R9 380X to upgrade one of my older systems. My X79 mATX rig is still limping along with an HD 7950.

OP
Jeff G

Jeff G

My Gigabyte 1070 arrived today, so I installed it and fired it up. Nice and quiet, very fast with no coil whine at all. Ran 3DMark and Furmark just to test it and it scored 18,908 for Firestrike graphic and 6129 in the 1080p Furmark Benchmark test. It only got to 65C in the Furmark test which is pretty good - my old R9 290 used to hit 90C plus in that test. Now maybe I'll use my R9 380X to upgrade one of my older systems. My X79 mATX rig is still limping along with an HD 7950.

Ive had some time to get some serious gaming in on it at the settings above. Maxed out at 63C after like 2 hours straight of 1440p gaming on Ultra settings. With the Turbo fan profile, the fans don't spool up enough at 63C to hear them over any other part of the system.

OP
Jeff G

Jeff G

After getting more gaming time in on it yesterday, I got driver crashes under heavy loads at my settings above. Temps never got above 63C and passes all the benchmarks at those settings, but seems to be a bit much for extended gaming. Driver crashes happened at least three times so I decided to reset it back to factory OC defaults and that resolved the issues. I'll try bumping settings up in smaller increments over the next few weeks with extended gaming sessions to see where my 24/7 limit is.