• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R - CPUz Reporting wrong CPU speed.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slack

Hi all,

If I run CPUz on my GA-P35C-DS3R / E8400 system it is reporting the the chip is actually running at 2ghz (not 3) at x6.

Now, I dont think this is a CPU issue... could it be to do with all the Gigabyte automatic overclocking options?

I have Easy Tune 5 on - that seems to report the right speed. BUT... If I set the BIOS to run the CPU at, for example 3.4ghz (by raising the BUS) - when I load windows, CPUz reports it running at 2ghz x6 again and when I load Easy Tune 5 that reports as 3.15ghz (which is stock speed on a 9.5 multi).

Also, my memory (Corsair DDR2 800 2x 2gb) was bought as 4-4-4-12 timings, but in the BIOS it shows up as 5-5-5-18?

If anyone has seen and of the above before, or has any similar OCing issues with this board, I would love to know.

Many thanks

Slack

KillrBuckeye

In my experience, CPU-Z usually reports the correct speed. My first guess is that you have the EIST and C1E power saving functions enabled. This will automatically vary the CPU multiplier and/or FSB depending on CPU load. When idling it is normal to see a 6x multiplier. If you put the CPU under load you should see the multiplier jump up to what you have set in the BIOS.

meionm

It's called speed step. Multiplier goes up and down depending on cpu load. If you run prime95 and cpuz at the same time you will see that your cpu is running at full speed. If you don't want speed step you can disable it in bios. Find option for cpu C1E.

Memory timings you have to set manually. It might require setting voltage manually.

OP
Slack

Slack

Awesome guys - thanks, you are probably right!

What are peoples thoughts on this - do you use it? Personally, from historical experience with this, I have always disabled it - but is it cool to use now or not?

Also, anyone on the memory issue (may post that separately on the Mem forum)

Cheers :beer:

jason4207

I use speedstep after I get done finding my 24/7 OC. Doesn't hurt IMO.

RAM will boot at looser timings b/c most RAM can't run 800 4-4-4-12 at the default voltage of 1.8v. You need to set the voltage and timings manually if you want them to run at their rated speed.

OP
Slack

Slack

Thanks all (except Trap)

If it gets bought up that much, why doesn't someone sticky a note at the top? Would surely help!

Back in the day, this setting used to be OFF by default, I guess it comes ON a lot now then?

Trap05

Not meaning to dump on you but seriously it gets posted multiple times a week. It used to be a sticky but it must not be anymore for some reason.

OP
Slack

Slack

As I said, i expect a lot of people will be like me... haven't built a PC for a long time. Speed step now has a different name in the BIOS and it comes ON as default.

If it does get posted a lot, MODS, please can one of you write a nice informative stick to stop people like me wasting mine and everyone elses time.

Thanks all - Slack

KillrBuckeye

Don't worry about it Slack. Most of us don't mind answering questions that might be commonly asked. I usually try to use the search function to find answers before I ask a question, but even then it can sometimes be difficult to find the information you're looking for.

OP
Slack

Slack

Yeah, I always scan through the first page or two, then search and failing that post. But yeah, finding the right words to search with to find an issue you think will be releavnt to you can be tricky.

Like today, I had to post about my SATA DVD... 50million search results and nothing like my issue.

Cheers