• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte GA970A-DS3P and FX6300 overclock issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Antimus

So I've got a DS3P which I know isn't great for overclocking, and a 6300. I've been looking through the forums and there are a lot of people who have still managed to get it to run at 4.5GHz at 1.375v on this board, however I can't even manage to get it to run at 4.1GHz, no matter what I do. core 5 (6) keeps failing on Prime95, I've kept upping the vcore higher and higher and it still doesn't get stable up to 1.5v where I stopped, I tried running extreme LLC mode and that pushed the vcore up to 1.58v, I disabled it straight away.
I'm using just multiplier overclocking though I have also tried FSB increases and that just causes actual system instability most of the time, BSODS, some CPU cores running at different speeds, that sort of thing.
It's not temperature, CPU never gets close to 60C, got a good cooler. I've got the usual stuff disabled like c1e, core control, that sort of thing.
I'm currently testing 4.0GHz at 1.38v though HWMonitor shows it's only using about 1.36v
The only nonstandard thing is I'm using some Predator memory that I've overclocked to 1866MHz and overvolted to 1.5v, but that shouldn't be causing a problem, if it was the VRMS that wasn't coping it wouldn't cause the CPU to fail, right?

Sometimes FX doesn't like Kingston RAM or higher RAM speeds.
Try backing down to 1600MHz for the sake of testing.

When Overclocking deal with your CPU speeds first then busses and ram.

Yes back off your ram timings and set everything to stock let's see if it is stable at stock or if your Kingston ram is the issue, some work and some just don't regardless what you do. Run prime for 2 hours with HWMONITOR open to record temps and voltages. If it passes, as it should come back and post a screen shot of HWMONITOR and CPUZ main, Ram and SPD tabs.

if it was the VRMS that wasn't coping it wouldn't cause the CPU to fail, right?

If you're VRM's throttling do to overheating, it sure will cause cores to fail if there's a voltage drop. Also, somethings not right if your cores are running at different frequencies. An FSB OC shouldn't produce that result; Cool'n'Quiet - Disabled, C1E - Disabled, Core C6 State - Disabled, APM Master Mode - Disabled

Back