• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n00bular

Hi, I was going to order my new comp from newegg.com when they ran out of my MOBO (GA-8IGX)!!!

Well its been a few months and they have been out of stock for quite a while. Now the motherboard is completely out of their inventory.

Gigabyte came out with their new GA-8IE533 board... I looked at it and its somewhat similar to the GA-8IGX except a few things like no onboard LAN.

Is this board (GA8IE533) good? I haven't seen any reviews or whatever on it... BTW my processor is p4 1.8A and Crucial 256mb DDR PC2700

BaldHeadedDork

It's not that new of a board, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. This is a stripped-down version of their popular GA-8IEXP board.

Both are built on the Intel 845E chipset, which is great for overclocking and has excellent reliability and stability. The -IEXP comes with all the bells and whistles onboard (RAID, LAN, sound, USB2.0 and Firewire) while the -IE533 only has the USB2.0 and lower-quality sound chip.

This is a solid, basic motherboard. But there are boards with better bang-for-the-buck without sacrificing performance. For about fifteen dollars more than you'll pay for the -IE533 you can get an Abit BD7II RAID board and for another ten on top of that you can get the Gigabyte -IEXP.

Hope this helped and welcome to the forums!

BHD

BaldHeadedDork

Yeah, any of the three will be great at overclocking and have an excellent reputation for reliability. They are all built on the Intel 845E chipset.

BHD

OP
n00bular

n00bular

I heard that 845E doesn't offically support DDR333 memory, however you can still use it? Is this true? I'm Planning on building a comp using this motherboard + p4 1.8A DDR333

BaldHeadedDork

Yeah. When you fire up the board for the first time the memory will run at DDR266, but if you crank up the bus speed you can easily get the memory to run at 333, or faster. More than a few guys here report speeds in the 400 range with the right memory, CPU, board and cooling.

Buying quality, high speed memory will greatly reduce the risk that the memory will be where your system hits the wall. Corsair XMS comes highly recommended around here, but Micron and Crucial have good reputations, too. Buy OCZ at your own risk.

BHD