• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gigabyte questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raven

hey guys.. i got a question. ive been looking into the gigabyte GA-8INXP, and read somewhere that it might beable to overclock to 667FSB to support the new prescot chips. but now ive been reading that the 667FSB has died and intel will be bringing out the 800 FSB.

would this board still be a good choice to go for? even though the springdale chipsets with DcDDR400 and 800FSB will be comming out soon? because i am looking for upgradability, and since i dont have enough $$$ to spend on a newer system later i would like to get a mobo which would keep me up-to-date for a reasonable amout of time.

any suggestions on this board and any other boards, would be appriciated. and if anyone knows about when the springdale chipset will be comming out, thanks in advance!

raven

Buzzdog

Raven,

Where did you see that they are going to have 800MHz fsb chips?? Are you saying that they are going to do this with the Northwood core? That would be 200MHz system fsb.

Buzzdog

OP
raven

raven

so about that gigabye GA-8INXP, will it beable to overclock to 800mhz if that extra card is inserted?, im hopping it will because in the future i would like to get the new prescot chip, and not have to get a new mobo for it!

and how would one overclock that to 800 mhz? or does that just involve rasing the fsb to 200?

raven

BaldHeadedDork

Second question first, yeah. Because the P4 runs data four times per clock cycle, the effective (and advertized) speed is always four times the actual bus speed.

First question second, no one knows what that power card is going to do with future processor families, or if any GB board will be able to run a Prescott CPU. So far as I know, Intel has not yet confirmed that the Prescott will be a Socket 478 chip. I personally would not be too surprised if they moved to a new format for the P5, but that's something we'll have to wait to see.

Finally, I don't know if you heard, but the latest Intel roadmap says the Prescott will not ship until Q4/03. By this time next year there are probably going to be a lot of reasons why you'd want to look at a new board if you make the jump to Prescott.

Hope this helped-

BHD